I just bought me a new 3.0:1 cranking reel.

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

I just bought me a new 3.0:1 cranking reel.

Post by John G » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 pm

JK. :lol:
There's this little shop in Japan that I sometimes buy things from and they had these little Spincast reels. I bought it for no other reason other than it was cheap and I doubt that I'll ever use it.

Image[/url]

The Enthusiast in me needs help. I just bought the matching Turing Monkey camouflage rod. :lol:

Last edited by John G on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: I just bought me a new 3.01 cranking reel.

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:25 pm

If you take a kid fishing, this reel could save you a lot of headaches!

Fishing writer Stan Fagerstrom used to do casting exhibitions with spincast reels, showing how one could achieve impressive accuracy and quiet lure entry with them. One aims slightly above the target, feathers the line by pushing it to one side as it exits the cone, then stops the lure by pinching the line before splashdown. I got darned good at that when such a reel, mounted on a slow-action fiberglass rod, was all I had to work with, but 8 lb. test mono was pretty much the limit for getting good distance with the size plugs that fit in my dad's Umco tackle box.

I hope you or a guest will have some fun--and catch some fish--with it sometime.

Oh, and I understand there is a test one can use to determine whether you were sent a genuine Turing Monkey: ask it and a live monkey a series of questions, and if the live monkey's responses are no more intelligible than you get from the reel, then you got a genuine Turing.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: I just bought me a new 3.01 cranking reel.

Post by John G » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:25 pm
If you take a kid fishing, this reel could save you a lot of headaches!

Fishing writer Stan Fagerstrom used to do casting exhibitions with spincast reels, showing how one could achieve impressive accuracy and quiet lure entry with them. One aims slightly above the target, feathers the line by pushing it to one side as it exits the cone, then stops the lure by pinching the line before splashdown. I got darned good at that when such a reel, mounted on a slow-action fiberglass rod, was all I had to work with, but 8 lb. test mono was pretty much the limit for getting good distance with the size plugs that fit in my dad's Umco tackle box.

I hope you or a guest will have some fun--and catch some fish--with it sometime.

Oh, and I understand there is a test one can use to determine whether you were sent a genuine Turing Monkey: ask it and a live monkey a series of questions, and if the live monkey's responses are no more intelligible than you get from the reel, then you got a genuine Turing.
I've never used one but I've heard they were good. That's the Daiwa spincast reels. I don't think this one is that kind of quality. I still remember my dad coming home from work over 40 years ago with matching tackle boxes and Zebco 33's for me and my brother. It's been many years since I've used a Spincast reel and I was thinking exactly what you said, a little fiberglass rod would be perfect for this reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I just bought me a new 3.0:1 cranking reel.

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 am

How high are those, rod and/or reel? In a few years I will have to search one out for our child to fish with. Still have faith he can figure out a spinning reel...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:25 am

Dock shoot for crappie.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 am
How high are those, rod and/or reel? In a few years I will have to search one out for our child to fish with. Still have faith he can figure out a spinning reel...
Here is a screenshot of the little shop that I bought it from. I found it in their trout section under reels. The initial price is really cheap and I'm sure that I had to pay a 10% vat tax and a couple of different shipping fees and one handling fee so all in all, I probably have a little over $25 into it. As far as I know, these guys are not going to ship to the United States. They don't even accept PayPal so you have to have someone else do the buying and the shipping if you know what I mean. I have bought quite a few lures from these guys over the years and they always seem to have in stock what they say they have in stock. It appears as though they're out of the olive drab Spincast reel that I bought. I bought the rod on eBay for around $85 shipped from Japan. I didn't even think about buying the rod until yesterday afternoon after I posted this purchase of mine and I did a little searching on the Internet and I found out that there's a matching rod and then I went to eBay and found one.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:55 am

This is like the OG prototype spincast verstion of the BAPE

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:59 am

I bought the rod on eBay for around $80 shipped from Japan and fortunately for me, the seller pays return shipping because I'm returning it because all of the guides are crooked.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:31 pm

Dang, that sucks about the guides.

And yeppers spincast Bape came to mind as well. 8-)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:46 pm

John G wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:59 am
I bought the rod on eBay for around $80 shipped from Japan and fortunately for me, the seller pays return shipping because I'm returning it because all of the guides are crooked.

It's not crooked. It's spiral wrapped :lol:

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:41 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:46 pm
It's not crooked. It's spiral wrapped :lol:
I thought the same thing. :lol:
I'm going on day two and I have not heard anything from my seller in Japan about my free return so after tomorrow, I'm contacting eBay to get my $80 back.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:39 pm

Back in my day, you young whipper snappers wouldn't understand...

Nek minute.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoqT-odPzdI ... MyMTA2M2Y=

See that's what you've got.... The epitome of Japanese design.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:06 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:39 pm

Nek minute.

:lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:39 pm

Nek minute.

Whaaa da fudge?!?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:08 pm

What we're seeing here is "Peak JDM'ism" one guy said...