upcoming trip

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

upcoming trip

Post by hotdogin » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:14 am

Been out of the loop for a bit now, weird how kiddos don't allow for much fishing, but I still check out TT regularly. So what better place to ask for some general recommendations for an upcoming trip? I've booked a trip to Hackberry, Louisiana for redfish and speckled trout in October. They have been on my bucket list for a while now and I'm looking for recommendations on rod/ reel combos along with tackle as I've never done much inshore fishing with the exception of using cut bait for sharks and rays. Always been a Daiwa guy for reels, but would be open to Shimano if they have some offerings better suited for saltwater. I'm not too picky about rod brands although I noticed St. Croix has a rather extensive inshore collection. Fire away with rod length, reel size, lure type recs! Hoping to keep it all under $500.

On a side note: how would an inshore setup translate for bass use?
just hotdogin it

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: upcoming trip

Post by MeatHead » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:31 pm

Medium light or medium rods will work for speckled trout and slot reds. Medium heavy if you'll be targeting over slot redfish. I fish from a kayak so prefer 7ft or longer rods to help with line control when a redfish runs around the front of the kayak, but shorter would work fine from a boat.
For reels, Daiwa bg's are popular for a cheaper spinning reel. Most of my casting reels are Tatulas and have handled it fine. Brand is a personal preference, and there's about an even number of Daiwa and Shimano fans in the clubs I'm in. 2500 and 3000 size spinning reels are most common.
If you're fishing artificial, walk the dog topwaters like spooks are popular in lowlight and overcast conditions.
Paddletail swimbaits, typically rigged on 1/8-1/4oz jigheads are highly popular too, with Down South lures being a very popular choice on Calcasieu lake. White and chartreuse seem to be among the most popular colours. Curl tail grubs are effective as well, especially Berkley gulp swimming mullets in chartreuse. Bonus is flounder absolutely love those too.
A popping cork with a shrimp artificial 18-24 inches under is a top producer too. Vudu shrimp, 4 horsemen boom boom shrimp and Berkley gulp shrimp all work well.
Most bass gear translates fine to light inshore fishing, so if you already have any rods or reels that fit the description you should be fine.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:01 am

Catching your first redfish will be addicting, when I first started inshore fishing I just used my bass fishing combos until I got serious with it. As stated above ml and m for trout, m for slot reds, my for the overslots. My go to baits for reds are chatterbaits with gold blades and smaller swimbaits in pinfish/mullet patterns. For trout I like zman shrimp or trout tricks under a popping cork, corkies for big trout, and either the mirrolure popping mullet or a Sammy for top water. I fish all casting gear and I do like st croix inshore rods, but I also get rods built on nfc blanks for close to the same money if the blanks are on sale. I prefer Daiwa reels and the first dedicated inshore combo I bought was a tatula type r on a st croix legend inshore. Falcon has decent inshore rods for fairly cheap, I miss the US made lowrider salt that was unbeatable for the money but the coastal and coastal Clearwater are decent for the money.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:54 am

I might be able to save you $500....if you have 1 or 2 7' to 7-6' spinning rods that are med lt or med with 2500 or 3000 size reels you are good to go for inshore fishing. That and a 7' med or med hvy bait casting will do just fine. just make sure to use braid, 10 or 20 on spinning, 20-30 on a bait caster. Use floor or mono leader, 20-30 lb test and tie everything off with a loop knot. For lures have a few topwaters, and for plastics I recommend checking out slayerinc.com. They are here in Jacksonville and they make great jigheads and paddle tails. Use the 3" on a 1/4 oz jighead, and the 4" on a weighted swimbait hook, I like the Davis Baits 1/4 oz 4/0 hook, as well as the gamakatsu 4/0 1/8oz superline hook. Hope that helps...