Ultimate speckled trout set-up

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultimate speckled trout set-up

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:04 am

JB,

Great post!!! Need to get back down there for some Trout, been over 20 years! loved fishing for them in the past!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:11 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 pm
15 Exist 2510
Megabass Shorluck Limited SLL-7'6L
Sunline Saltwater Special Castaway x8- 1.5 PE
Daiwa Morethan Durabra 16LB Mono Leader
Variations of the MB Vision 110jr SW
Killing us, man! Great tackle and specs in that cooler!

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 am

JBcrankaddict- WOW! those are beauties. Up here in NC (Swansboro) we're not seeing ones that big. Not yet anyway.

Are you the one that removed the cork from your Conquests and replace the guides? Looking at one of your pics, I see a split grip Conquest. Also, glad to see another kayaker out there. :) You've got two pretty sweet setups there.

Aquaftm45- I'll go try some of that line, thanks for the recommendation. Sufix 10# sure likes to float in the wind. Got a heinous knot this past weekend.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:06 pm

OG Zillion Coastal
St. Croix Legend Inshore Gulf Coast Casting Rod 7'0" - Medium Light
Sunline Super Fluoro
Paul Brown Corky Devil in Black Gold Orange

unless the floating grass is bad then
Suffix 832
Equalizer cork
Seaguar Blue Label leader
Zman trout eye jig head with a swimming Trout Trick

i have to make do with a Coastal SV since its so hard to find a OG zillion coastal since my previous one is in 10ft of water near rocky creek

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Ranger 619VS wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:04 am
JB,

Great post!!! Need to get back down there for some Trout, been over 20 years! loved fishing for them in the past!
Thank you sir. They are so much fun to chase, whether on a school of keepers or stalking the big girls, it will keep you entertained. 20 years is a long time to be away, need to hit the coast!
scrapiron wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 am
JBcrankaddict- WOW! those are beauties. Up here in NC (Swansboro) we're not seeing ones that big. Not yet anyway.

Are you the one that removed the cork from your Conquests and replace the guides? Looking at one of your pics, I see a split grip Conquest. Also, glad to see another kayaker out there. :) You've got two pretty sweet setups there.

Aquaftm45- I'll go try some of that line, thanks for the recommendation. Sufix 10# sure likes to float in the wind. Got a heinous knot this past weekend.
You definitely have us beat on the redfish though! Some real beasts in NC!
Yes I did the post on the Conquests. The performance and feel is unbelievable now, 843 especially! Feels like there isn’t much power in the rod because it’s so light.....until you bow up on a big one. Then it’s :shock: as you stop that redfish from getting under the dock.
What kayak are you using? They are definitely the way to go. Maintenance involved with saltwater and boats is not something I want to deal with. My PDL has seen zero maintenance in 3 years other than washdown and some CorrosionX, and keeps me on the fish, what more can you ask for!

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:12 am
scrapiron wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:44 am
Aquaftm45- those are some nice specks! How do you like the Sunline braid?
There are a couple 24" in that livewell!.. That was last year fishing in Pine Island Sound.

I'm a big Varivas fan, but I must say that specific Sunline product is pretty amazing. It's a braid/mono hybrid which increases it's specific gravity and gives it a bit of stretch. It reduces the massive line rainbows on windy days or in a moving tide. Highly reccomended.

http://sunline.co.jp/english/products/b ... ay_pe.html
You certainly got my attention with this braid, I ordered a spool off ebay tonight.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:37 am

I’m using a Jackson Cuda LT. love the light weight and paddles well (thermoformed vs. roto).

Hmm, your 843 project /comments have got me thinking on switching from a Light MH/Fast spinning to a Med/mod fast casting with a Steez A. Both rods are Zbones, but the casting rod is a standout in that lineup. Well, so is the MedLight spinning.

And Fluoro eh? I just switched to FC on my freshwater casting setups and so far have been enjoying it (tatsu).

I try to limit the number of setups I bring, but it seems I’m up to four- really like to get down to 2.

Really appreciate this thread- I’m always looking for an edge to help out.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Had a great couple of fishing days this weekend in SW Florida. Got the opportunity to put the new Tulala Harmonix Staccato 78MHSS-HX to the test on some moderate size reds, small snook and even had a run with a 40-60 lb Tarpon. An amazing rod that I will post on later when it’s designated reel arrives from Japan. The hero of the weekend though was my last standing Megabass rod, the previously posted Shorluck Limited SLL-76L. A rod I had thought to swap out for a more exotic and slightly heavier offering, possibly a Zenaq, Blue Current, or Evergreen Zephre. Well, the Shorluck earned permanent status on the Beach of Captiva Island. Having the beach entirely to myself at 6:30 am I stalked the shoreline with the Tulala casting into the trough that runs right on the beach and secured several 18 inch snook over the next 30 minutes. As day broke and bait and birds became active I figured if I was going to catch small Snook, it might as well be on the much lighter Shorluck. As small pods of bait skittered on the surface about 30 ft. from the beach I cast my small swim jig into a pod and was immediately met with a solid hit. Almost simultaneous to my hookset, a wave rolled in and the Snook showed its glorious broadside in the body of the wave. My immediate thought was..it was big, too big for my rod, too big for my 20 lb leader. As I glanced around, still no one on the beach, so it was me, the Shorluck and the 20 lb leader vs. the big snook. I felt good, really good. The Exist screamed, the Castaway PE sung through the rod guides and the Snook breached a wave about 30 yards away, she was still on, although I had little hope for the 20lb leader. Lost ground, gained ground, after about 15 minutes I had her up to the trough and was waiting for a wave to ride it on the beach, I knew she was tired, I knew my leader was tired. She makes one last valiant effort in a 10 yard run, but I knew at that point, she was mine, even if only for a minute. Knowing she was especially exhausted I wanted to get her back into the water as quick as possible. I glance around the beach again and see that it’s still just me, just me and the Snook. I felt great as the Snook swam free.
She wouldn’t be considered a trophy Snook, 34-36 inches and not especially broad, but special to me nonetheless. Equally impressive over the weekend is that I fished exclusively with my stash of Kietech 7Palms Original color (BiwakoWakasagi) 3.5 Swings and 4.3 Swing Fats. 🇯🇵

Thanks for reading!
rsz_1img_3450.jpg
rsz_1img_3450.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 19347 times
rsz_1img_3451.jpg
rsz_1img_3451.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 19347 times

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm
Had a great couple of fishing days this weekend in SW Florida. Got the opportunity to put the new Tulala Harmonix Staccato 78MHSS-HX to the test on some moderate size reds, small snook and even had a run with a 40-60 lb Tarpon. An amazing rod that I will post on later when it’s designated reel arrives from Japan. The hero of the weekend though was my last standing Megabass rod, the previously posted Shorluck Limited SLL-76L. A rod I had thought to swap out for a more exotic and slightly heavier offering, possibly a Zenaq, Blue Current, or Evergreen Zephre. Well, the Shorluck earned permanent status on the Beach of Captiva Island. Having the beach entirely to myself at 6:30 am I stalked the shoreline with the Tulala casting into the trough that runs right on the beach and secured several 18 inch snook over the next 30 minutes. As day broke and bait and birds became active I figured if I was going to catch small Snook, it might as well be on the much lighter Shorluck. As small pods of bait skittered on the surface about 30 ft. from the beach I cast my small swim jig into a pod and was immediately met with a solid hit. Almost simultaneous to my hookset, a wave rolled in and the Snook showed its glorious broadside in the body of the wave. My immediate thought was..it was big, too big for my rod, too big for my 20 lb leader. As I glanced around, still no one on the beach, so it was me, the Shorluck and the 20 lb leader vs. the big snook. I felt good, really good. The Exist screamed, the Castaway PE sung through the rod guides and the Snook breached a wave about 30 yards away, she was still on, although I had little hope for the 20lb leader. Lost ground, gained ground, after about 15 minutes I had her up to the trough and was waiting for a wave to ride it on the beach, I knew she was tired, I knew my leader was tired. She makes one last valiant effort in a 10 yard run, but I knew at that point, she was mine, even if only for a minute. Knowing she was especially exhausted I wanted to get her back into the water as quick as possible. I glance around the beach again and see that it’s still just me, just me and the Snook. I felt great as the Snook swam free.
She wouldn’t be considered a trophy Snook, 34-36 inches and not especially broad, but special to me nonetheless. Equally impressive over the weekend is that I fished exclusively with my stash of Kietech 7Palms Original color (BiwakoWakasagi) 3.5 Swings and 4.3 Swing Fats. 🇯🇵

Thanks for reading!
rsz_1img_3450.jpg
rsz_1img_3451.jpg
Great read, Rick! Felt like I was there watching the struggle and eventual victory.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Agreed, I loved reading that! Wonderful story telling and sure made me want to head to the coast ASAP.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:35 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for reading!
rsz_1img_3450.jpg
rsz_1img_3451.jpg
I hope my new spool of castaway pe gives me similar luck with the trout this fall

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 pm

LOL- same here! I ordered two spools of Castaway for this fall. Expectations are high for some epic stories like this. 😃

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:14 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 pm
LOL- same here! I ordered two spools of Castaway for this fall. Expectations are high for some epic stories like this. 😃
:shock: Hope I didn't oversell this stuff. With that said, I ordered a spool for my Steez A (which is going full SW) and my Daiwa Certate 4000. All in!

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:53 am

Did you stick with the 1.5PE for the Steez A?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:05 am

scrapiron wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:37 am
I’m using a Jackson Cuda LT. love the light weight and paddles well (thermoformed vs. roto).

Hmm, your 843 project /comments have got me thinking on switching from a Light MH/Fast spinning to a Med/mod fast casting with a Steez A. Both rods are Zbones, but the casting rod is a standout in that lineup. Well, so is the MedLight spinning.

And Fluoro eh? I just switched to FC on my freshwater casting setups and so far have been enjoying it (tatsu).

I try to limit the number of setups I bring, but it seems I’m up to four- really like to get down to 2.

Really appreciate this thread- I’m always looking for an edge to help out.
Jackson makes a really nice kayak, definitely a quality product! Perfect for some shallow marsh fishing.

Love some medium powered casting rods in the salt. Only reason for the MH is to cast the heavier lures, not necessarily to fight fish(though it is nice around docks). Both of those Zbones should work great out there. Just experiment with different lures and find what works best for them. Plastics and heavier top water on the MH and jerkbaits/twitchbaits/crankbaits on the M should cover everything well, but it’s all personal preference. I’m with you on limiting the number of setups. Can get by with 2 but 3 seems perfect for covering top, middle and bottom of water column, though I usually bring 4 to new water. Trout aren’t a super complicated fish to chase, but targeting big trout is definitely more specific.