Flats wading

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flats wading

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:07 am

How do people go about carrying a second outfit while wading the salt flats. Want to carry another outfit for those days when a second style of rod/reel combo will be handy. Needs to be easily accessible, tuck out of the way and not allow the rod to flap around. Thanks.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Flats wading

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:42 am

Daiwa Japan makes a small backpack that holds a rod upright securely(it actually holds 2 combos). I have one somewhere, but cant find it at the moment. If the other combo is longer than 6'6", you might have to resort to sidearm casting. If it's a 2 piece combo, then nothing to worry about.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 am

We cross many deeper areas on the flats where a bag or backpack would be submerged constantly, so I had to figure something else out. Decided to make a wade float and it worked great at holding all my tackle, ruler, drinks and extra rods. Had a lot of people around here copying my design at one point :lol: Tackle stays dry and can measure and take pics of fish up to around 13lbs. Drilled holes and tied plywood top on with rope to allow the top to hinge. Fiberglassed it and it’s lasted over 10 years of wading. Very handy. Here’s a few pics, don’t really have a great shot of it.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. I use a similar floating tub assembly when wading for crabs. Works well, but not what I am after for this application. Same with light backpacks. Have tried that route as well. Leaning more towards a good simple fly vest, Rapala Pro Wear seems to suit. A catch bag of some sort over one shoulder to drop fish for the table in. Looking to somehow attach a spare outfit to this. The Japanese suppliers do some good gear, oddly the Egi type bags seem most suited to what I want. One rod in use and another slung. We use a combination of light spin and fly gear to target our whiting. In nature they are like a mini Bonefish but fantastic eating. No screaming 100yd runs either. Cheers