St Pete Beach, Fl, June

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Pete Beach, Fl, June

Post by rando » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Not sure if this is the right section, but I’ll try.

I will be in St Pete Beach, Fl in June. I plan to do some diy shore fishing and at least one guided trip, all salt.
What’s the best species to target in that area in that time of the year?
Will I have trouble with shore access and does anyone have any general location recommendations?
What’s the general consensus (if any) on tackle; jerks, topwater, paddletails?
Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for an inshore and an offshore guide?

Many questions, but I fished salt only once before in bahamas on flats (diy) and only caught one hammer handle barracuda fly fishing. Never fished in Florida before and I would like to make the most of the trip.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St Pete Beach, Fl, June

Post by toporanger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 am

I used to recommend Capt Gary Burch for inshore but it looks like he may have retired. I moved away a few years ago and now I cant find any current info on him but he is a great. I also highly recommend Neil Taylor if you are willing to kayak, he taught be a ton over the years living there about inshore fishing.

You will run into some issues shore fishing unless you are willing to wade a bit. Good wade fishing at Fort Desoto and several of the other parks on that side. I would put Desoto near the top especially if you are at St Pete Beach.'

Lures, 1/8 oz jig with a paddle tail or a gulp shrimp will catch anything that swims. New penny and electric chicken were my go to colors in shrimp and whites/glitter maybe some reds and copper for paddletails. Target grass lines where they meet sand and any depth pockets or potholes. Drag the sand for flounder. No matter what you will probably find ladyfish lol. Mirrodines and yozuri crystal shrimp for hardbaits should cover you and dont forget a gold spoon.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St Pete Beach, Fl, June

Post by rando » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am

Thank you, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.