Best Anti-Saltwater spray/solution for tackle cleaning?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of saltwater species
Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Anti-Saltwater spray/solution for tackle cleaning?

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi,

We all know how important it is to rinse off the saltwater on our tackle after fishing in the salt before putting the tackle away. Do you guys use any anti-saltwater solution that you would recommend in addition to rinsing with tap-water?

I'm using Ardent Reel-Guard now. Ardent works to dilue salt build up on my lines and reels but it also leaves a white film and spots on my reels that I need to spend time wipe them off carefully before they harden.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Anti-Saltwater spray/solution for tackle cleaning?

Post by Slazmo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm

I use an Australian product called Salt Away SX50 in a 1/4 diluted state and into a small pump pack spray bottle if I know I'm not going to be home all day or for an extended period of time on the boat or kayak. I just rinse off at home and allow to dry.

I also like to soak my line (on the spool while it's going on and repeated throughout the year) with Starbrite Salt Remover as it's also got Teflon in it. What it does to the line is anyone's guess but I'd like to think it helps casting, but more importantly stop corrosion on the spool

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 am

Salt X https://www.saltx.com/saltx_prod_saltx.htm

Some of my customers fish the salt hard, and this is what I use when servicing their reels. It works really well and will remove any salt buildup.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:50 am

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to get my hands on some of those products..

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:52 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm
I use an Australian product called Salt Away SX50 in a 1/4 diluted state and into a small pump pack spray bottle if I know I'm not going to be home all day or for an extended period of time on the boat or kayak. I just rinse off at home and allow to dry.

I also like to soak my line (on the spool while it's going on and repeated throughout the year) with Starbrite Salt Remover as it's also got Teflon in it. What it does to the line is anyone's guess but I'd like to think it helps casting, but more importantly stop corrosion on the spool
Slazmo, When you said 1/4 diluted you mean 1/4 Salt Away and 3/4 tap water is that correct? Does it leave any white residue after it dries off on your gear like the Ardent Reel-guard that I am using now? Thanks!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Yeh sorry for the confusion, basically 1/4 strength as per the norm mix.

Haven't seen any white spots or dry mineralisation rings of any sort as yet. However the Curado K has to be the most offensive paint job for salt show or any type of mineralisation from hand sweat etc.

The fact that it's so diluted it's just a small amount to ensure that the water has a chance to flush and that the Salt Away in it remedies the ingrained salt that may remain.

One guy I serviced for took a off the shelf mix of a product and went away for a live aboard fishing charter and safe to say that it left its own crystals of dried product in books and crannies, so showed that it still needed flushing.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:34 pm
Yeh sorry for the confusion, basically 1/4 strength as per the norm mix.

Haven't seen any white spots or dry mineralisation rings of any sort as yet. However the Curado K has to be the most offensive paint job for salt show or any type of mineralisation from hand sweat etc.

The fact that it's so diluted it's just a small amount to ensure that the water has a chance to flush and that the Salt Away in it remedies the ingrained salt that may remain.

One guy I serviced for took a off the shelf mix of a product and went away for a live aboard fishing charter and safe to say that it left its own crystals of dried product in books and crannies, so showed that it still needed flushing.
Got it. Thanks Slazmo!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:54 am

White vinegar in a spray bottle instantly neutralizes salt. Afterwards, rinse with a light spritz of distilled water afterwards to remove any residue and wipe clean, then set it in the sun to dry.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.