Drag Holder Reef Spring

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drag Holder Reef Spring

Post by zelmo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:07 am

I found this part on the deck of my boat.

At first I couldn't figure out what it was, but after thinking about it I had put line on a Steez SVTW1016SVSHL in that area. I had taken the spool out so I looked at the schematic for the reel and see that it is the spring.

I have never taken the reel apart beyond spool removal so I don't know how it came out or how to put it back in. If I remove the spool again will it be obvious?

Edit: After looking at the schematic more it appears that the way to get to this part is from the handle/star drag. I had backed the drag off to pull the old line off. Is it possible that is how it fell out?

Edit #2: I had also put line on a Steez 103HL and when I look at the schematic for that reel this part is called the Click Leaf Spring. Not sure why they changed the name over the years.

Edit #3: I found this video which shows how this is installed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FBwb6fCRj0. Problem solved.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Drag Holder Reef Spring

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 am

When you're breaking down a new (to you) reel, take cellphone pictures before you remove each layer, so you'll know what went where.
And do it over a large cloth-covered area, so falling parts won't bounce.