Aftermarket Cast Control Cap for a TD Fuego

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Aftermarket Cast Control Cap for a TD Fuego

Post by toddmc » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm

The stock chrome colored metal CCC on the TD Fuego baitcasting reel is heavy and not very attractive. It weighs 3.5 grams compared to the 1.1g of the older TD-X reels that have the same size CCC cap that is champagne colored aluminum. I measured the threads at about 10.8 mm on my digital micrometer. I have several old TD-X reels that i can borrow the lighter CCC from and paint, but I would rather buy something a little more attractive. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket CCCs that fit the TD Fuego? Thanks.
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG (25.42 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aftermarket Cast Control Cap for a TD Fuego

Post by adam lancia » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:20 am

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:21 am

I don't know which threads those have. I think its the same as the Steez, TD Zillion, T3 ect from that era. Those make use of a clicker that also acts as a retainer. Without it the knobs will back off. I have one on my old Tatula HD which uses the same threads but no provision for a clicker. Its always backing out.

You have options if these threads are the same as old Steez, TD Zillion, T3, Zillion SV and Alphas.

A knob for the old Steez, TD Zillion and T3 and some thread tape to keep the knob secure. You can also use lock tight on the knob threads and then it cure off the reel (this is key) and then thread the knob on and the reel threads will cut into the lock tight on the knob and hold secure. Constant adjustment of the knob will make it loosen over time. This is best for set and forget spool tension. The advantage of this is that it allows you to use clicker or acorn style on a reel with compatible threads but no provision for a clicker. These are considered classier, better looking knobs than the old cylinder type. They are hard to find from Hedgehog but Aliexpress has DIY ones.
This style on an old Tatula. No clicker provision so knob loosens over time.

Old style cylindrical knob like yours but in other colors. I believe Pixy and old Alphas also use the same knobs and come in colors. Amo sells color ones for the Alphas and others can be tracked down as well. Old Tatula Type R (non CT) also uses this nob in red.

Amo
Tatula Type R knob on a TD-S 105

Tatula HD Custom knob. These are an acorn style non clicker knob. They look like a high end modern Daiwa non zero adjust knob but don't make use of a clicker. They're just shaped to resemble one. I have a gold trim one on my TD-X and a red trim one on my old Tatula Type R. They are heavy but look cool. Good way to give a non clicker old Daiwa a clicker acorn style knob. These are not sold individually. Mine came from parts swapping.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:04 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:21 am
I don't know which threads those have. I think its the same as the Steez, TD Zillion, T3 ect from that era. Those make use of a clicker that also acts as a retainer. Without it the knobs will back off. I have one on my old Tatula HD which uses the same threads but no provision for a clicker. Its always backing out.

You have options if these threads are the same as old Steez, TD Zillion, T3, Zillion SV and Alphas.

A knob for the old Steez, TD Zillion and T3 and some thread tape to keep the knob secure. You can also use lock tight on the knob threads and then it cure off the reel (this is key) and then thread the knob on and the reel threads will cut into the lock tight on the knob and hold secure. Constant adjustment of the knob will make it loosen over time. This is best for set and forget spool tension. The advantage of this is that it allows you to use clicker or acorn style on a reel with compatible threads but no provision for a clicker. These are considered classier, better looking knobs than the old cylinder type. They are hard to find from Hedgehog but Aliexpress has DIY ones.
This style on an old Tatula. No clicker provision so knob loosens over time.

Old style cylindrical knob like yours but in other colors. I believe Pixy and old Alphas also use the same knobs and come in colors. Amo sells color ones for the Alphas and others can be tracked down as well. Old Tatula Type R (non CT) also uses this nob in red.

Amo
Tatula Type R knob on a TD-S 105

Tatula HD Custom knob. These are an acorn style non clicker knob. They look like a high end modern Daiwa non zero adjust knob but don't make use of a clicker. They're just shaped to resemble one. I have a gold trim one on my TD-X and :D a red trim one on my old Tatula Type R. They are heavy but look cool. Good way to give a non clicker old Daiwa a clicker acorn style knob. These are not sold individually. Mine came from parts swapping.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It took me awhile to dig out my Tatula Type-R out of my rod locker. I could have sworn that I tried it a few years before and it didn’t work. I may not have liked the red. I don’t mind it now. I may put my Amo spool into it just to make it crazy red :D
IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 931 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:01 am

Looks good. Let us know how that Amo spool compares to the Ray's DIY spool. I really like the Ray's in my IP68 when pitching 5 inch senoks on an old Perfect Pitch. Stock spool with a pile of 16# fouro just weighs too much for the lighter baits.

Glad to see the Tatula Type R knob worked out for you. I still use mine as a kayak rig where I do weightless r very lightly weighed plastics skipping/casting and some 3/8 oz crank and jerkbait use. Mine has a knock off SV spool from Ray's. They call it a long cast spool but its more of a stiffer spring SV spool. I put an HD Custom spool tension knob on mine to add some silver with the red.