need info from a supertuning veteran

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
champ
Angler
Angler

need info from a supertuning veteran

Post by champ » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Hello, im just getting started in my adventures in supertuning , Can anyone give their opinion on which low pro baitcasters are worth upgrading.I have read a little bit on the subject, I am leaning towards daiwa stuff, like alphas, fuegos, sols. I want to be able to handle lighter stuff more easily,i will be doing all upgrades myself, if you have a heads up on installing something i will be thankful for your knowledge, thank you all

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: need info from a supertuning veteran

Post by l2yan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:01 pm

I think the better/harder question would be what reels aren't worth upgrading... :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 am

Every reel I have tuned has benefitted to some extent. I will say that Shimano's are the easiest to work on due to the lack of spool pins. It really depends on the reel & application as to what mods are necessary/worthwhile. You may want to start reading this:

http://super-tuning.home.mindspring.com/i1.html

champ
Angler
Angler

Post by champ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 am

thanks for the suggestion on the link, that link you provided was my go to guide as i was just getting started in supertuning, i got a curado 201bsf, because of that link ,to try it out, it does cast very well, i have done the sanding and polishing to it, but im not sure if i want to pump money into that reel by replacing bearings , adding new handles etc. Im looking for a project reel , that after all upgrades are done , it will be able to compete with any reel for casting light weight plastics, etc,.i have read a little on hear, and that is a general question, alot of newbies like myself come on the forum and ask that, and there could be a bunch of possibilites, but if anyone would like to share their ideas, things they have done or want to do to a reel , i would grateful for the insight

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

My thing is really "sleeper" reels that look bone-stock but have upgrades internally. All of my reels have Carbontex drags and upgraded bearings. I have 2 50th Zillions with Boca OS bearings & drag, and various Shimanos that all have the super tune kit from Big Green Fish reel shop. My reel for the lighter stuff is the Core 50 w/ the above mentioned kit.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:35 am

Tuning reels are great winter projects. I did two older ABU's; a 5600-AB and a 5500C3. I don't think I would ever use sandpaper on a spool axle, but the raggedy ends that press on the cast control washers benefited from smoothing. Stainless ABEC7 spool bearings, Smoothie drag upgrade and a BB levelwind kit went in both. After the bizarre and useless anti-backlash mechanism was removed from the 5600AB, I upgraded the brake holder to a four brake model from AVAIL. What a tremendous difference it made in these low-tech reels. Oh, and polishing the inside of the pinion gear with Happich Semichrome paste and a dremel style tool was visually effective. Again, I would polish, not sand. Good luck!
TB

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 am

Im tuning my buddies Abu silver max right now that I found on ebay CHEAP..After im done it will be a sweet lil reel for the $$$...The reel doesnt need much just a nice flush and a polish will help the cause..Every reel I own has some sort of tune to it, if not full blast.. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:06 am

Champ, if you want to get into it, here is a great 1,2,3 how to do it with pictures of each step.
I don't any sanding material as he does, instead I use high polishing.
http://jdntackle.home.mindspring.com/index%20page.html

champ
Angler
Angler

Post by champ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 pm

thanks for the suggestions , i think im gonna get a pixy, and trick it out, maybe try to do a tranformers theme to it somehow

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:30 pm

champ wrote:thanks for the suggestions , i think im gonna get a pixy, and trick it out, maybe try to do a tranformers theme to it somehow
sounds like a job for calfish.....