What did I do to my PX68?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What did I do to my PX68?

Post by Iowa Matt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 am

OK, I have been a Shimano guy my whole life, but took the plunge this winter and bought a Pluton and a PX68.........in the interest of science of course!

So I take the PX68 completely apart the other day to flush all the bearings in perparation for ice out in a couple weeks. A buddy gave me a bearing to put in on the end of the levelwind where there is a bushing as stock. The bearing came with a plastic ring to take up the extra space that the bushing took. Everything went smoothly......replaced the bushing, flushed the bearings, re-oiled them, all is well...........or so I think.

I get the reel put completely back together and spin the handle to find out that the reel makes a clicking noise........click click click click...........not every handle turn, but maybe every 1.5 turns.........not smooth either! Hope I didn't mess something up. Any thoughts from you Diawa guys? I can't think that the new bearing is doing it...........even put the handle on minus the sideplate so I could see the gears. This made the clicking stop, but there is still a dragging sensation where the clicking was before with the sideplate on...........

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What did I do to my PX68?

Post by DougL58 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Have you tried reassembling with the bushing? Just a check to confirm if the new part is causing the problem or if you have an assembly problem.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:28 am

Did you put the spacer on the worm drive first and then the bearing?

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

kmartel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kmartel » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 am

D.R. wrote:Did you put the spacer on the worm drive first and then the bearing?

D.R.
+1 When doing that upgrade you need a bearing and new spacer or you can modify your existing one with a little sanding.

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 am

D.R. wrote:Did you put the spacer on the worm drive first and then the bearing?

D.R.
Maybe this is it.......thought it looked like the bearing went on first in the schematic.......I might have them backwards. The new bearing came with a space......I think they were made for a Sol.........shuold be the same right?

Thanks

Matt

holycow72
Angler
Angler

Post by holycow72 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

what size bearing is used on the Sol when upgrading the worm shaft?

THanks!!

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Well, I tried again tonight for an hour and accomplished nothing! It still clicks every time I turn the handle once its together. Measured the new bearing and spacer and they are the same (to 0.001") as the old bushing and I reassembled it with the old bushing and it still clicked so I'm sure the upgrade isn't causing it.

The ice is beginning to melt now so I don't have long and its gonna stink if I can't use my new reel when we have open water........:-(

Matt