revo stx problem

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jchez444
Angler
Angler

revo stx problem

Post by jchez444 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:29 pm

hey guys i have a revo stx that is about 7 months old and it started making a squelling noise when i cast. now its going to be hard to explain but this is what i hear: when i cast everything seems fine until alittle more then half way through my cast the reel makes a loud squeaking/squelling sound for a second or two, which i believe causes the spool to stop spinning freely cause my distance has decreased big time. wondering what the problem can possibly be, hope this makes sense. thank you!

ulysi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: revo stx problem

Post by ulysi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 pm

is it centrifical braking? if so clean the brake surface and with a q tip add a light coat of bearing oil.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:22 am

flush the bearings and clean / lube.
Let's go fishing!!!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Had the same problem with my 2008 STX. It is the spool bearings. I cleaned and lubed them and the problem went away for awhile but eventually returned. I replaced the bearings with Boca Orange Seals and the probelm went away. It also casts better with the Bocas. The kit cost about $40.00.
I also had the exact same problem with a BPS Jonny Morris Elite and the bearing upgrade fixed the problem as well. My 2011 Revo Premiers have not had this problem.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:11 am

I have four older Revo STX (2009 and older) models. They all had the same issue. And here I thought it was just me. Relubing the bearings only delays the inevitable - You're gonna have to upgrade the bearings. I sold three except one and upgraded the bearings on the last one. After the bearing upgrade, the issue permanently ceased. Abu Garcia probably used cheap bearings IMO.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**