Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LowRange » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 am

amso4 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:56 pm
Very impressed with the new KKR Long cast spool for the Daiwa Alphas SV TW. It is much lighter and has a thinner, shorter fixed inductor making it faster than the stock SV shallow spool version. The line capacity is a tad more than the stock shallow spool.

I paid $65 and got it in a little over a week from China.

KKR is 4.88g
Alphas Shallow spool (stock) is 12.91g

I think this thing will bomb a little Megabass IXI shad or Super-Z. The stock SV spool seems too braked to me.

alphas hlc side by side top.jpgalphas hlc side by side.jpg
The inductor on the stock spool is huge by comparison. Even fully seated it is longer than the fixed inductor spool. Definitely should be a faster spool than the stock one.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm

I bought the red Amo spool for the TD Zillion (36mm). It has the fixed inductor and it is way too fast for normal use. You can crank down the cast control cap, but it is still wild and the added resistance is annoying. You might be able to use really light weights with it, but I didn't buy it for that. It's a work in progress.
The Ray's Steez etc. HLC/PE Special spool is really nice in my SV103's and also the TD Zillion and TD Fuego with spacers. I've got 50lb. FX2 on it right now. It gives you a little extra distance as advertised. It gets wild with fluoro if you try to cast too hard. It's definitely not a Mag Z style spool, but it is a smooth operator with braid. The inductor (purple) is a little shorter than your standard Ray's SV (orange) inductor.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 am
amso4 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:56 pm
Very impressed with the new KKR Long cast spool for the Daiwa Alphas SV TW. It is much lighter and has a thinner, shorter fixed inductor making it faster than the stock SV shallow spool version. The line capacity is a tad more than the stock shallow spool.

I paid $65 and got it in a little over a week from China.

KKR is 4.88g
Alphas Shallow spool (stock) is 12.91g

I think this thing will bomb a little Megabass IXI shad or Super-Z. The stock SV spool seems too braked to me.

alphas hlc side by side top.jpgalphas hlc side by side.jpg
The inductor on the stock spool is huge by comparison. Even fully seated it is longer than the fixed inductor spool. Definitely should be a faster spool than the stock one.
It is really fast spool, but with ergonomics type lure just a flip of my wrist I can send the lure fly as far as reg spool. On the other hand if I try to swing hard (over head cast), it is harder to control. I have to add more brake and distance gain only a few yards more. Really different characteristics compare to Ammo 34mm fix inductor spool. I set dial around 8 with KRR spool and 12 with Ammo spool. I might try with some 1/16 Ned rig to see how that super lightweight spool behave with lighter lure.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:10 am

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make the stock spool into a fixed inductor with super glue or a very stiff spring. The seated inductor length on the stock spool is longer than the KKR spool. Even if the inductor never extended it would brake more than the KKR. The stock inductor is thicker too. Might be a worthwhile experiment if your stock spool is basically worthless to you. Grab and twist the inductor to expose the gap between the two ramps then apply a drop of super glue to the area then release to afix the inductor into the retacted position...forever.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:20 am

Loafer wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:54 am
And they actually DID IT: https://alii.pub/6mzdxb or https://alii.pub/6mze7t ! \:D/
Hello, Friends!
Got my spool on saturday. Made well, no "burrs", the bearing in the cage (as usual - a little noisier than oroginal one). Fixed inductor, empty weight 4.79 gr. The end of the axis is made interesting: is it a ball made of another metal in it, or does the axis consist of two parts? I filled it with 75 m of 15 lb PE from Zukibo, got fatter up to 8.16 gr. With compact lures, I think it will work very well. I plan to use on the rod up to 14 grams with all sorts of jig rigs.
Can't wait to test!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 am

So I THOUGHT the Ray's HLC spool with the adjustable depth fixed inductor was relatively controllable in an OG Steez, that is, until I realized my outer magnet ring wasn't glued to the setplate. Once I fixed that and took it back out... Yeah, it's going back in my TD-Z :doh: :lol:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 22, 2023 7:57 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 am
So I THOUGHT the Ray's HLC spool with the adjustable depth fixed inductor was relatively controllable in an OG Steez, that is, until I realized my outer magnet ring wasn't glued to the setplate. Once I fixed that and took it back out... Yeah, it's going back in my TD-Z :doh: :lol:
Which model of the og steez do you have? As of late, i've noticed that my steez103SH has noticeably stronger braking force than my steez100H, both used with a type R+ spool from the steez103. Magnet ring is glued perfectly fine, so its not that for sure. Maybe daiwa saw some complaints about the steez103 being too fast, and gave stronger magnets to the 103SH that came out a bit later? Cuz i do recall having a steez103H with its original spool, and with fluoro that thing was unusable, even with maxed out braking force and reasonably tightened cast control. OG steez braking is still a mystery to me :strface:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 am

SSS wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:57 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Which model of the og steez do you have? As of late, i've noticed that my steez103SH has noticeably stronger braking force than my steez100H, both used with a type R+ spool from the steez103. Magnet ring is glued perfectly fine, so its not that for sure. Maybe daiwa saw some complaints about the steez103 being too fast, and gave stronger magnets to the 103SH that came out a bit later? Cuz i do recall having a steez103H with its original spool, and with fluoro that thing was unusable, even with maxed out braking force and reasonably tightened cast control. OG steez braking is still a mystery to me :strface:
It's a 103HL. I have two of those and an IS71. I might try it in the IS71 because it's my understanding that it has stronger magnets. I'm not holding out much hope though, that thing was way faster than my thumb is capable 😂😂

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 23, 2023 2:40 pm

The RED Amo spool might be worth a go in and OG Steez for a fixed inductor spool. I really liked mine with my SS SV103 and LTD. It was a very consistent and effortless caster. The key is to avoid the blue and purple spools. Those have thinner inductors and aren't useable in that platform.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=75

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue May 23, 2023 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:40 pm
The RED Amo spool might be worth a go in and OG Steez for a fixed inductor spool. I really liked mine with my SS SV103 and LTD. It was a very consistent and effortless caster. The key is to avoid the blue and purple spools. Those have thinner inductors and aren't useable in that platform.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=75
I have that one, it's actually in the IS71 right now. I'll have to give that a try.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 24, 2023 9:09 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 am
SSS wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
It's a 103HL. I have two of those and an IS71. I might try it in the IS71 because it's my understanding that it has stronger magnets. I'm not holding out much hope though, that thing was way faster than my thumb is capable 😂😂
From what i've heard, the IS reels have about the same braking force as a tdz, which is much stronger than the og steez.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:22 am

Tatula 100/CT and 2020 SV get some love. AMO fixed inductor spool for the Tatula 100/CT and a KKR for the SV. Those KKRs might be a little fast for power casting but this AMO looks nice.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230605-081945_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20230605-081945_AliExpress.jpg (19.94 KiB) Viewed 6767 times

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:25 am

SSS wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:09 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 am
SSS wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
From what i've heard, the IS reels have about the same braking force as a tdz, which is much stronger than the og steez.
I had a chance to try the Rays HLC with the adjustable inductor in my IS71 and it's a beautiful match. It's actual quite linear and manageable and gives lots of notice with a bit of fluff up to let you know things are going to get rowdy if you turn the brakes down much more 😂 I think it found it's home. Now to try the AMO fixed inductor spool in an OG Steez to see if it's wild or not.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:33 am

Hello, Friends!
Anybody try new 34 mm KKR Т31 М spool with fixed inductor (https://alii.pub/6qswk1)?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:04 pm

Loafer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:33 am
Hello, Friends!
Anybody try new 34 mm KKR Т31 М spool with fixed inductor (https://alii.pub/6qswk1)?
Received my yesterday. Real weight 5.61 g.
Cant wait fill it up by 15 Lb PE braid and starting fishing!