Frame Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Frame Bearings

Post by tim3716 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 pm

What do you guys use to lubricate frame bearings? Oil? Grease? Both?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Frame Bearings

Post by adam lancia » Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 pm

I use 80W-90 gear oil.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 pm

tim3716 wrote:What do you guys use to lubricate frame bearings? Oil? Grease? Both?
I only use zpi lubricants now.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 pm

I use grease for the drive shaft bearing and pinion bearing. The grease helps seal out any debris on the pinion bearing side.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue May 17, 2016 11:38 pm

I dip my pinion bearing in TSI301 and no grease. I am on year two of doing this for Tidal Potomac fishing and it works like a dream. I got the idea from Alan Tani and the salt water guys. ReelX in my driveshaft bearings.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 am

For me Bearings get oil, Gears get grease. The only bearing that is greased is the driveshaft bearing on the body as I grease the mechanisms above it.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 am

grease....i HATE oil in frame bearings and have had to perform many, many repairs due to oiled frame bearings. i have seen many times, where grease was all but washed off a reel's internals by oil seeping from bearings. in my opinion, there is absolutely NO benefit of oiled frame bearings

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:21 pm

I have probably 30 casting reels that I own and maintain, mainly shimano. On a CU200E7 for example, when greasing the stock frame bearings, do you simply rub grease over the bearing and some of it gets past the shield and into the bearing? I believe some of my reels I oiled frame bearings after an acetone bath because I felt unsure of my ability to properly lubricate a shielded bearing with grease. Any favorite brand of grease for these bearings? Thanks for all the info.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:55 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I have probably 30 casting reels that I own and maintain, mainly shimano. On a CU200E7 for example, when greasing the stock frame bearings, do you simply rub grease over the bearing and some of it gets past the shield and into the bearing? I believe some of my reels I oiled frame bearings after an acetone bath because I felt unsure of my ability to properly lubricate a shielded bearing with grease. Any favorite brand of grease for these bearings? Thanks for all the info.
A lot of steel shielded bearings have removable shields, they're just a pain at times. If your shields aren't removable and if you want to ensure you get grease in the bearing, there are a few retailers that sell the majority of our reel bearing sizes for $1 or less. Pop the shields off, run them through an acetone bath, then grease them before you put the shields back on.

If this is all information you know, please disregard and continue with your Monday :lol: :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 am

Is the frame bearing the one under the handle crank shaft?

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:20 am

That can be one and the other one is a pinion bearing. Before I began dipping my pinion bearings, I just gobbed grease on them and kept squeezing in the grease between my thumb and fore finger. Then I went to putting the bearing inside a bottle cap where it fit perfectly and pressed in grease from one side, flipped it over then did the other side. Bearing greasers are available in hobby shops. Now it is just dip, blow dry and install.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 am

Many different opinions. I cant tell if I'm doing right or wrong at this point ... :lol:

I grease the drive shaft bearing. Pinion, spool, AR roller, and knob bearings get oil. Gears and mechanism parts get grease. Level wind worm gets oil.

Its worked for me for many years but always open to thought and learning ... keep em coming.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:10 am

jpd0144 wrote:Many different opinions. I cant tell if I'm doing right or wrong at this point ... :lol:

I grease the drive shaft bearing. Pinion, spool, AR roller, and knob bearings get oil. Gears and mechanism parts get grease. Level wind worm gets oil.

Its worked for me for many years but always open to thought and learning ... keep em coming.
I do the same, except for the handlecrankshaft/drive shaft bearing, which I oil. Grease only for the gears, the slide mechanism for the spool release, and a dab on the spool/pinion intersection on my ABU Gen1 Premiers, the ones with the short shaft. And the drag stack, if needed.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:54 am

tim3716 wrote:What do you guys use to lubricate frame bearings? Oil? Grease? Both?
thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings
What are you calling frame bearings? I'm confused (again)!