T3 Mago drag

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

T3 Mago drag

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:47 am

I was playing around with different spools in my t3 mago and realized that even with the drag star backed off all the way the drag doesn't give at all. Is that normal on the t3 mago?

Thanks

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: T3 Mago drag

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:29 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:47 am
I was playing around with different spools in my t3 mago and realized that even with the drag star backed off all the way the drag doesn't give at all. Is that normal on the t3 mago?

Thanks
Sounds like the reel was stored with the drag locked down. The drag can seize. Have you opened it up for service?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:29 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thanks
Sounds like the reel was stored with the drag locked down. The drag can seize. Have you opened it up for service?
No, I was thinking about opening it up but just wanted to see if there was something else it could be first. Guess I'll have to take it apart.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 pm

There might be an extra, unnecessary washer behind the drag star. Try to remove one and reassemble.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:45 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thanks
Yes, it is. T3 Mago is near 4 pound at low setting. Odds are nothing wrong, probably just more burly than you're used to.
PEACE

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 pm
There might be an extra, unnecessary washer behind the drag star. Try to remove one and reassemble.
Maybe. I can't find a schematic for the mago but the washer I found behind the drag star was pretty thick. Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct washer.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:45 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thanks
Yes, it is. T3 Mago is near 4 pound at low setting. Odds are nothing wrong, probably just more burly than you're used to.
I didnt measure it but it isn't giving at all on the lowest setting. I took the handle off and backed the drag star out a little more and it felt normal. When I removed the drag star I found the thick brass washer in the picture above. I only had one extra washer laying around (for a millionaire) and I put that on instead but it wouldn't let me lock the drag down when fully tightened. It was closer to what I feel is normal though so I'll probably have to find the correct washer (unless it's supposed to be locked down all the time).

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:36 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:25 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Maybe. I can't find a schematic for the mago but the washer I found behind the drag star was pretty thick. Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct washer.

I put an OG steez drag star on my T3, and I truly dont remember that thick brass washer being there. I've seen that washer in the older Daiwa reels with the plastic stars, like the TD Advantage 150H and the TDX Airmetal reels. Try a thinner stainless washer or 2 in that guy's place and see what happens. As mentioned above, the Mago reels were geared towards big baits, so that extra drag might be intentional.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm

I can't find a schematic for the mago but the washer I found behind the drag star was pretty thick. Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct washer.

Yes, on T3 Mago it is correct
PEACE

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:10 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm
I can't find a schematic for the mago but the washer I found behind the drag star was pretty thick. Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct washer.

Yes, on T3 Mago it is correct
Thanks. I'm probably just not used to drag being that heavy when the star is backed out all the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Get rid of that thing and put some standard washers in there. I've owned many T3s, and have never seen that. Maybe that's how Gan Craft justifies calling that reel "heavy duty".....because you can't back the drag off. Oh, and the extra 10mm on the handle. Come on, it's still a plastic T3 🙄

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Get rid of that thing and put some standard washers in there. I've owned many T3s, and have never seen that. Maybe that's how Gan Craft justifies calling that reel "heavy duty".....because you can't back the drag off. Oh, and the extra 10mm on the handle. Come on, it's still a plastic T3 🙄
That's probably exactly right. I didn't buy it expecting it to be super heavy duty though. I just like the looks of the gam craft mago (and the white noise) and wanted to pick up my first T3 to try out.

I'll look into getting some regular washers. After taking it apart and reassembling, the drag now gives on the lowest setting. Not as free as a normal reel but it's not locked down anymore.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:27 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

That's probably exactly right. I didn't buy it expecting it to be super heavy duty though. I just like the looks of the gam craft mago (and the white noise) and wanted to pick up my first T3 to try out.

I'll look into getting some regular washers. After taking it apart and reassembling, the drag now gives on the lowest setting. Not as free as a normal reel but it's not locked down anymore.
I have some if you need them.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:11 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:27 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I have some if you need them.
If you have a couple extras and don't need them I'd appreciate it. Just text me how much for the washers and shipping. Thanks