Airy red spool spring

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Airy red spool spring

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Does the Airy spool use the same spring as the other pixy spools or is it a type r+ or HLC spring? I got a spool someone modded and want to put it back to stock form. They put the spring under the Inductor and a thicker shim or washer under the c-clip to keep the Inductor in the out position. Not sure if they used the stock spring so I'd like to get the right one to be sure.

Thanks.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Airy red spool spring

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:40 am

I just put it back to stock (had to borrow the washer/shim that goes under the c clip from another spool). Everything seems fine but the brake blocks make a little noise when reeling slow. Should grease or oil be applied to the blocks or anything like that?

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Happen to have a pic of the set up before you changed it back?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:35 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:56 pm
Happen to have a pic of the set up before you changed it back?
No, but it was just the felt washer, then the spring, then the pin, then the Inductor, then a thick blue washer, and the c clip last.

I put it back to normal. Felt washer, pin, Inductor, spring, washer, c clip. The white break blocks seam to move around more freely than some of my other spools which makes a little noise but probably not a big deal.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:11 am

Tugging on my airy red spool's inductor and stock magforce v pixy spool both springs feel the same. The Magforce z type r spool feels like a slightly stiller spring with much shorter travel of the inductor though.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:11 am
Tugging on my airy red spool's inductor and stock magforce v pixy spool both springs feel the same. The Magforce z type r spool feels like a slightly stiller spring with much shorter travel of the inductor though.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I've got the right spring on it now. The Inductor seems to be functioning properly. It just makes an occasional ping sound as I rotate the handle (the brake blocks tapping on the spool. I don't have line on it right now either do maybe that would dampen the sound some.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm

The blocks should be tight to the spool. The spring should be keeping the rotor snugged in and holding the blocks in place. Sounds like the spring isnt on top of the inductor as it should be.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm
The blocks should be tight to the spool. The spring should be keeping the rotor snugged in and holding the blocks in place. Sounds like the spring isnt on top of the inductor as it should be.
I moved it to the top of the inductor. I think the previous owner was going for a fixed inductor mod. The blocks aren't tight to the spool though. I'll see if I can post a video or something.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm
https://youtu.be/c9n5KbLZGjg

https://youtu.be/pONybLDXsko

https://youtu.be/zV2jSH6o3Nw

https://youtu.be/ogcY5FWdg8A

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 pm

Second video shows the inductor can be pressed in a tiny bit further and that does quiet the metallic ping sound (just hear the blocks). Who knows. I'll just have to try it out I guess.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 pm
Second video shows the inductor can be pressed in a tiny bit further and that does quiet the metallic ping sound (just hear the blocks). Who knows. I'll just have to try it out I guess.
Sounds like the spring might have gotten compressed where it was set to hold the inductor out. I know it's a pain, but try stretching it out a little and reinstalling. Make sure the brake blocks are the right ones vs a known stock spool. There's a few different colors and they are all slightly different lengths. I've checked several of them with a micrometer. Not sure if it's just manufacturing variance or they are purposefully different.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:14 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 pm
Sounds like the spring might have gotten compressed where it was set to hold the inductor out. I know it's a pain, but try stretching it out a little and reinstalling. Make sure the brake blocks are the right ones vs a known stock spool. There's a few different colors and they are all slightly different lengths. I've checked several of them with a micrometer. Not sure if it's just manufacturing variance or they are purposefully different.
I'll give it a shot later. I think if the spring was slightly longer it would solve most of the problem.