z2020 anti reverse problem(??)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
minch1o
Angler
Angler

z2020 anti reverse problem(??)

Post by minch1o » Wed May 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi guys, after servicing a friens's z2020 black limited I noticed that, when the drag is fully loosened, the handle has about 5mm of back play, as if the anti reverse does not engage instantly. When the drag is tightened (not necessarly all the way, at a loose fishable setting... don't know if i'm explaining myself right :-s ) this ''proble'' disappears.
Is this normal? I noticed that this reel has an anti reverse dog, unlike any other reel i've serviced before, and the roller bearing is different than the other daiwas.
just wanted to know if it's something I should worry about 8-[

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: z2020 anti reverse problem(??)

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 pm

What lubricant did you use on the a/r bearing? Only very light oil is recommended. I have found that grease will make it slip or outright fail, especially in cold weather.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Check the inner AR tube and the handle shaft, sometimes people use / spares picks the wrong part # and there's a interference between the keyed / flat sides when the drag is loose.

When the drags locked all the parts that action on themselves with sandwiching forces lock in together - however just check with the drag done tight if there is as much backplay movement when the drags done tight by stopping the spool with your thumb. You'll feel it move if there is a differential between the inner mating faces - should be a little movement but not excessive - some will always remain regardless...

minch1o
Angler
Angler

Post by minch1o » Wed May 05, 2021 11:54 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 pm
What lubricant did you use on the a/r bearing? Only very light oil is recommended. I have found that grease will make it slip or outright fail, especially in cold weather.
no grease on the a/r, learned that the hard way some years ago ](*,)
Slazmo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm
Check the inner AR tube and the handle shaft, sometimes people use / spares picks the wrong part # and there's a interference between the keyed / flat sides when the drag is loose.

When the drags locked all the parts that action on themselves with sandwiching forces lock in together - however just check with the drag done tight if there is as much backplay movement when the drags done tight by stopping the spool with your thumb. You'll feel it move if there is a differential between the inner mating faces - should be a little movement but not excessive - some will always remain regardless...
I'll check, all the parts are stock, maybe I've put something on the wrong side... should be an easy fix