Zillion 10 JDM schematic

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Zillion 10 JDM schematic

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I wanted to check something out with my reel and disassembled it. One of the bearings dropped and a thin spacer dropped. Tried to put it back together and the reel wouldn’t reengage when I turned the handle but would when I flipped the thumbar up. Took it down and reassembled. Everything works again BUT I’m not to confident with the rebuild.

1. If I make a cast, the reel reengages, the line retrieves normally and the line doesn’t peel off with the drag tightened, everything should be okay.

2. Is there a good video guide with parts in proper placement?

Thanks

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion 10 JDM schematic

Post by DrPerf » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Was it the bearing and bearing collar highlighted in this picture that "dropped"?

Picture is from the disassembly of the new Zillion SV TW 1000L.
It appears that Daiwa has begun to not include schematics with the new reels,
so I take sequenced pictures as I disassemble the new reels.

Regards,
Doc
Attachments
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 03 -bearing, bearing collar.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 03 -bearing, bearing collar.jpg (68.23 KiB) Viewed 3883 times

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:49 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm
It appears that Daiwa has begun to not include schematics with the new reels
So they're trying to extinguish the right to self repair...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Was it the bearing and bearing collar highlighted in this picture that "dropped"?

Regards,
Doc
Thanks for your assistance, it turned out it wasn’t a bearing at all, it was a shim and the blue bumper/spacer by the thumbar. I was able to find each bearing and put it where it belonged. Fortunately I didn’t panic, I was pissed the thing fell when I moved the handle sideplate. Everything seems to be okay, I took it apart and put it back together 3x just to make sure it was working right.
What I really need to do is break my reels down more often but I went from Steezes to Zillions in the past year and didn’t need anything beyond dropping a little bit of oil on the bearings.
Thanks again,

j

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks for your assistance, it turned out it wasn’t a bearing at all, it was a shim and the blue bumper/spacer by the thumbar. I was able to find each bearing and put it where it belonged. Fortunately I didn’t panic, I was pissed the thing fell when I moved the handle sideplate. Everything seems to be okay, I took it apart and put it back together 3x just to make sure it was working right.
What I really need to do is break my reels down more often but I went from Steezes to Zillions in the past year and didn’t need anything beyond dropping a little bit of oil on the bearings.
Thanks again,

j
Clearly, the newer reels require a lot more TLC.
Do you think the basic design is more fragile, or that the parts made from more fragile material?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am

Johnny A wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks again,

j
Do you think the basic design is more fragile, or that the parts made from more fragile material?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am
Johnny A wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks again,

j
I opened to check and see if the pinion and drive gears needed a little bit of grease. It’s been about 9 months and I use the Zillion 10 a lot, topwaters for summer, fall and early winter, then jigs for the winter until I got the Zillion 1000 a few months ago.
When I removed the side plate, the shim and bumper fell out, I wasn’t paying too much attention and the schematics that came with the reel just looked off.
Anyhoo, long story short (HA!), I don’t think it’s more fragile than the old ones, just older eyes and fingers!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks again,

j
I opened to check and see if the pinion and drive gears needed a little bit of grease. It’s been about 9 months and I use the Zillion 10 a lot, topwaters for summer, fall and early winter, then jigs for the winter until I got the Zillion 1000 a few months ago.
When I removed the side plate, the shim and bumper fell out, I wasn’t paying too much attention and the schematics that came with the reel just looked off.
Anyhoo, long story short (HA!), I don’t think it’s more fragile than the old ones, just older eyes and fingers!
Hahaha I'm right there with you.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:16 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks again,

j
Not sure what you mean by "Clearly, the newer reels require a lot more TLC.". That is not my experience with multiple versions of the new Daiwa reels (Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW both current and previous versions, Alphas SV TW, Millionaire CT SV, etc.). The Steez SV TW and Zillion SV TW 1016 reels are in their third year of service with consistent fishing without encountering any issues. The new Zillions are four months in, also with no issues.

I do flush the spool bearings in any acquired reel (new or used) with acetone in an ultrasonic to remove any previous lubricant. In some cases, it appears that new reels might have grease in the spool bearings. And adding oil to grease is not recommended and can create problems. The same goes for "mixing" different lubricants. A drop of ZPI F-0 Extra Long Cast Oil in each 'clean' spool bearing and I am ready to check the reel's casting performance at my "casting park" where I have distances and targets setup to determine "out of the box" performance as well as any improvements after cleaning/tuning.

Soon after that, I do a complete disassembly, clean, polish and relubrication as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48169&start=1230#p694117

That process ensures appropriate lubrication for all parts with my preferences as well as appropriate polishing/tuning. The difference in all cases has resulted in quantifiable improvements in casting and retrieve performance. Ease of casting and retrieve is very important to me due to a wrist injury that limits how much weight and force I can comfortably cast with.

Regards,
Doc

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:39 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:16 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Thanks again,

j
Not sure what you mean by "Clearly, the newer reels require a lot more TLC.". That is not my experience with multiple versions of the new Daiwa reels (Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW both current and previous versions, Alphas SV TW, Millionaire CT SV, etc.). The Steez SV TW and Zillion SV TW 1016 reels are in their third year of service with consistent fishing without encountering any issues. The new Zillions are four months in, also with no issues.

I do flush the spool bearings in any acquired reel (new or used) with acetone in an ultrasonic to remove any previous lubricant. In some cases, it appears that new reels might have grease in the spool bearings. And adding oil to grease is not recommended and can create problems. The same goes for "mixing" different lubricants. A drop of ZPI F-0 Extra Long Cast Oil in each 'clean' spool bearing and I am ready to check the reel's casting performance at my "casting park" where I have distances and targets setup to determine "out of the box" performance as well as any improvements after cleaning/tuning.

Soon after that, I do a complete disassembly, clean, polish and relubrication as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48169&start=1230#p694117

That process ensures appropriate lubrication for all parts with my preferences as well as appropriate polishing/tuning. The difference in all cases has resulted in quantifiable improvements in casting and retrieve performance. Ease of casting and retrieve is very important to me due to a wrist injury that limits how much weight and force I can comfortably cast with.

Regards,
Doc
Thanks for the ideas. I hope your wrist doesn't keep you from enjoying fishing.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:02 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:49 pm
DrPerf wrote:
I've seen nothing of the sort on either JDM or US Daiwa reels. My Zillion 10, Steez A HLC, Steez SV TW LTD, 21 Alphas, 21 US Zillion, etc. have all come with schematics. Has anyone else seen missing schematics recently?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:32 am

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:02 am
Slazmo wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
I've seen nothing of the sort on either JDM or US Daiwa reels. My Zillion 10, Steez A HLC, Steez SV TW LTD, 21 Alphas, 21 US Zillion, etc. have all come with schematics. Has anyone else seen missing schematics recently?
I got a schematic with mine. I just found something off about it. Difficult for me to explain. I’m normally pretty good with diagrams.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
Give it time. Special tools and parts that aren't user serviceable / user purchasable are starting to be seen already.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
Give it time. Special tools and parts that aren't user serviceable / user purchasable are starting to be seen already.
Where? Exist LT?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:20 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
Four JDM Zillions, one Alphas SV TW, and one Millionaire CT SV, none of which included a schematic. Everyone I have communicated with that purchased the current JDM Zillion also did not have a schematic included. There was a "user manual" in Japanese, but no schematic. Cannot speak to the U.S. domestic version of the Zillion.

As far as 'self repair' or maintenance, I disassembled each of the reels in sequence, with appropriate pictures that provide more information than a schematic.
Attachments
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 01.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 01.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 02.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 02.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 03.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 03.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 04.jpg
Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000L 04.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 3301 times