Spool bearing stuck in metal sleeve

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool bearing stuck in metal sleeve

Post by CGrinder » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:57 pm

I think I've really done it this time. I have a Boca bearing stuck inside the metal sleeve that houses the bearing that sits on the spool shaft of a Zillion SV. Installation was snug but not too bad, but now I'm trying to change it back out (suspect bad bearing) and that mother is s t u c k. I can't find the part number as any schematic just shows it as part of the spool assembly.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any ideas? :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool bearing stuck in metal sleeve

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:48 am

Can you pull the pinion out, soak the bearing from the inside in a penatrive oil - get to the end of the spool and "tappy tap tap" with a plastic punch of sorts and jewelers hammer.

If not apply some warmth / heat to the actual area (frame) and seen if it expands enough to release the bearing.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:33 am

I can get it to the end of the housing but there's no good way to hold onto the housing. I will post a picture when I get home. Heat is a good idea. Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm

If you have a shimano reel, slide that bearing down the shimano spool shaft and let the spool pin catch the bearing, then put pressure on the sleeve. This has worked for me before. I always put a coat of grease on the outside of the bearing before sliding it into the cage. This has stopped that from happening again, so far.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:31 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm
I always put a coat of grease on the outside of the bearing before sliding it into the cage. This has stopped that from happening again, so far.
That's why I use so much lanolin, it's actually non toxic, water proof, dielectric, corrosion proof and permeates metals to create a barrier between the two. Some greases that are lithium based can cake up with water, not saying liberal grease application is a bad thing, but there are better things out there.

Getting a near new out of the box reel after some use in saltwater, only to find frame bearings welded into the frame is disappointing and tedious...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:51 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:31 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm
I always put a coat of grease on the outside of the bearing before sliding it into the cage. This has stopped that from happening again, so far.
That's why I use so much lanolin, it's actually non toxic, water proof, dielectric, corrosion proof and permeates metals to create a barrier between the two. Some greases that are lithium based can cake up with water, not saying liberal grease application is a bad thing, but there are better things out there.

Getting a near new out of the box reel after some use in saltwater, only to find frame bearings welded into the frame is disappointing and tedious...
I use Abu Silicote. It's a synthetic silicone-based lubricant and is highly hydrophobic and dielectric.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:50 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:51 pm
I use Abu Silicote.
Alright...

But does your's make your reel smell like a fresh sheep's skin rug? Brings all the Kiwis in - they love the smell.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:50 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:51 pm
I use Abu Silicote.
Alright...

But does your's make your reel smell like a fresh sheep's skin rug? Brings all the Kiwis in - they love the smell.
Well, no.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Oil hasn't helped so far. Super stuck. Going to try heat. Think TSI 321 is flammable? :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:50 pm
Oil hasn't helped so far. Super stuck. Going to try heat. Think TSI 321 is flammable? :lol:
Probably not a good idea to breath it in once it's become a vapour. But won't hurt it to creep in deeper.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:19 am

CGrinder wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:33 am
I can get it to the end of the housing but there's no good way to hold onto the housing. I will post a picture when I get home. Heat is a good idea. Thanks!
Any pics yet?

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Results on how this turned out? Genuinely curious...

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:05 am

I have the same issue on a used TDZ US Trail i got from a friend.

What i did was slow pushing inward then outward just a bit just enough to slowly free it from its position.
I found that the old oil (or grease) caked around the bearing.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:36 pm

Update:

VICTORY

Threw it in a drawer for near two years while work consumed me (avoid the golf industry). Popped it out literally two days ago after I stuck a hobby file in the bearing and used the edge of my workbench as leverage to hold the sleeve in place while I pushed the bearing out. It was not easy, but it's OUT. Thanks everyone for the advice and the commiseration. :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:33 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:36 pm
Update:

VICTORY

Threw it in a drawer for near two years while work consumed me (avoid the golf industry). Popped it out literally two days ago after I stuck a hobby file in the bearing and used the edge of my workbench as leverage to hold the sleeve in place while I pushed the bearing out. It was not easy, but it's OUT. Thanks everyone for the advice and the commiseration. :big grin:
Man, should have made a video...might've been entertaining.

Good work.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."