Gear feeling teeth

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gear feeling teeth

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 pm

What's the best grease for geary feeling reels?

A few of my reels feel geary after only a few weeks of maintenance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Gear feeling teeth

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 am

What exactly do you mean by geary??? I have been fishing much more recently and noticed a few reels feeling "off". I used Shimano grease for my Chronarch MGL, mixed with just cleaning the teeth with a brass brush and regreasing seemed to help. My Steez A is tricky though. Absolute butter at times but then I feel a persistent yet very faint pop-pop-pop-pop while retrieving at times. If a grease can fix this mystery, please let me know.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 am

I've never had a reel with brass gears feel "geary".

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 am
What exactly do you mean by geary???
It feels almost like a buzzing, the micro gears is what I'm feeling.
I've been using Shimano star grease.

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 am
Both have brass gears and both are magnesium.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Try a thicker NLGI Calcium Sulphonate grease.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Try a thicker NLGI Calcium Sulphonate grease.
This was a strange name grease I think someone previously mentioned but I couldn't find it. Would like to get some for my Chronarch MGL, though a good cleansing and Shimano grease helped it greatly. Thinking my Steez rattle was something different now, couldn't replicate the issue today. Either way, does that thicker grease work better always or only certain circumstances?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:58 pm

Bearings should be changed as they wear and loose tolerance somewhat over time which transmits to other parts and their wear patterns. Hence why when you change a bushed reel to bearing it can feel lika a box of rocks until things bed back in / may never feel OK ever.

But I tried some Calcium Sulphonate (*CS) by 2 boat winch manufacturers which use it for their bronze gears which are in terrible full time saltwater corrosive environments - the properties of CS are quiet impressive also.

The thickness / NLGI rating of greases range widely and each manufacturer can be in between of whatever they see something as - no two greases will feel the same or thickness. The thicker a grease the harder it is typically to rotate a gearset so leave the higher for heavier reels or lower gear ratios - higher tolerance gears, lighter reels / smaller and higher ratio typically benefit from lighter greases. Typically a more worn out reel with heavier grease masks wear somewhat for a period of time, never fixes it completely.

I changed a couple reels over from other greases and installed the CS and ran them through, the MM gears in my K quietened down a bit but still is there a fraction of a gritty feel - my honest opinion is once those gears are worn or deformed from a hard hookset etc that's it - done.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:32 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 am
All 5 of my SLX variants became rough or geary after just a few outings. I replaced all the gears and the same thing happened again.