Chronarch 50Mg

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Chronarch 50Mg

Post by zelmo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 pm

I have a Chronarch 50Mg that needs a good cleaning on the outside. It has never been in salt and is not pitted or corroded, it is just dirty.

I don’t want to damage the coating on the reel, so what should I try using to clean it up?

I don’t have any problem throwing 1/4 oz baits with it but it would be great if I could get that down to 1/8. Will bearings alone accomplish that or would I also need to change the spool?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Chronarch 50Mg

Post by slipperybob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:00 pm

If it's just a good cleaning on the outside...that's what my old used toothbrush is for with some Dawn and water.

The bearings on it are Shimano's ARB bearings. They're good enough to even toss 1/8th oz. lures and good distance with like 4# mono test around .200 mm diameter. two brakes on. If there's wind, I give up.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:18 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:00 pm
If it's just a good cleaning on the outside...that's what my old used toothbrush is for with some Dawn and water.
Thanks. Does the reel need to be completely disassembled to give it a bath like that?
slipperybob wrote:
The bearings on it are Shimano's ARB bearings. They're good enough to even toss 1/8th oz. lures and good distance with like 4# mono test around .200 mm diameter. two brakes on. If there's wind, I give up.
Good to know. When I was messing around try to toss 1/8th oz it was windy. I guess I should flush the bearings and try again on another day that doesn't have the wind.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:28 pm

zelmo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:18 am
slipperybob wrote:
Thanks. Does the reel need to be completely disassembled to give it a bath like that?
slipperybob wrote:
Good to know. When I was messing around try to toss 1/8th oz it was windy. I guess I should flush the bearings and try again on another day that doesn't have the wind.
I don't have mine dirty enough that I had to ever done a complete disassemble to clean. Mostly I just clean the outside and that's been enough for me. Other than that, only if I need to do routine re-lube bearings and other parts.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish