Tackle Trap Reel Repair

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tackle Trap Reel Repair

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:57 am

Just a simple question, generally how long does it take to get a non warrantied reel repaired? I sent in a Steez A and had called to check the status but I feel bad to continue bothering them, I know they are busy and I know they do great work along with being a great retailer in general. Just curious if anyone had estimated time of return. Thanks.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tackle Trap Reel Repair

Post by johns » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:28 pm

if you check their web site under reel repair it gives an estimated time for them to be repaired. I have used them a couple of times and it usually a bit longer. It was worth the wait. Waiting for parts now a days can be a problem for all industries.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:40 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:57 am
Just a simple question, generally how long does it take to get a non warrantied reel repaired? I sent in a Steez A and had called to check the status but I feel bad to continue bothering them, I know they are busy and I know they do great work along with being a great retailer in general. Just curious if anyone had estimated time of return. Thanks.
I just unboxed my Daiwa parts order, and will have your reel back together no later than mid morning. Been waiting about 3 weeks on parts to get here. My sincerest apologies.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Awesome guys to deal with. They do very good work

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 am

Let us know what has happened to the tick.

I removed the gears on my steez, and decided to polish them. The tick is completely gone now, but they became buzzy under load and nowhere near as smooth as they were :strface: probably overpolished or something.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 am
probably overpolished or something.
Probably took too much product away.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:56 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:40 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:57 am
I just unboxed my Daiwa parts order, and will have your reel back together no later than mid morning. Been waiting about 3 weeks on parts to get here. My sincerest apologies.
Hey no need to apologize, I am just thankful you helped me with a JDM reel. Daiwa offered to, but it could have been forever. My key concern with this reel was to address the issue, then decide whether to repair and keep or sell depending on what it was, thanks again, no need to ever apologize, you guys do great work.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 am
SSS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 am
probably overpolished or something.
Probably took too much product away.
Have you polished gears before? Any suggestions on the polishing compound? I used the Mother's Polish at the lowest rpm on my rotary tool, and lets just say i messed it up :strface:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm

I've washed gears and subsequently brushed them with a light polish and old tooth brush to brighten them, however not used a rotary tool on gears per se, if I did in the past it was on heavily corroded brass.

Not sure what the benefit is for polishing - a good grease is more than enough to keep them going.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm
I've washed gears and subsequently brushed them with a light polish and old tooth brush to brighten them, however not used a rotary tool on gears per se, if I did in the past it was on heavily corroded brass.

Not sure what the benefit is for polishing - a good grease is more than enough to keep them going.
I tried polishing an older Tatula gears... used the brass polish from walmart and the soft head on a rotary tool... fluff and fabric strings went everywhere. Decided after that to just bruss away old grit and dirt then put new grease. I used a denture brush and new shimano grease on my Chronarch MGL and it helped.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am

Will update here when I figure out the issue, as of now I recieved an insurance settlement and will probably use for another reel, regardless of selling or fixing the Steez A.