Replacing Bearings on a New Chronarch 100B and Curado 200D

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Replacing Bearings on a New Chronarch 100B and Curado 200D

Post by LOBINAKING » Thu May 25, 2006 11:04 am

Hello,

In my old Shimanos i replaced the stock bearings with TG's Rocket Bearings which are Ceramic, the improvement was impresive over the stock bearings. My questions is do the new Shimano's specifically the Chronarch and Curado now come with bearings that would be similar in performance to the Ceramic's and eliminate the need to replace? Those extra $40.00 dlls could buy tackle instead so any info. on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Replacing Bearings on a New Chronarch 100B and Curado 20

Post by SLM » Thu May 25, 2006 2:08 pm

The Chronarch 100B series comes with A-RBs (which are rated ABEC 3 and don't have shields) while the Curado 200D series has the standard stainless bearings (also rated ABEC 3). Both series will cast better than their previous generation but don't let that stop you from replacing the stock bearings with ABEC 7 ceramics...

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Thu May 25, 2006 2:14 pm

The Curado 200 D comes with anti-rust bearings.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu May 25, 2006 2:26 pm

Bass Pro wrote:The Curado 200 D comes with anti-rust bearings.
No, the Curado 200D series comes with the standard stainless steel bearings Shimano has been using for years (part number BNT 194)...

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Thu May 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Are you sure about that? I have read that they are the anti rust bearings in the new Curado.

I checked Bass Pro and it states on their site that it is A-RB.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu May 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Yep, I double checked the schematic and they're BNT 194 bearings. I also opened the sideplate just to be thorough and they're indeed the standard stainless bearings...

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu May 25, 2006 2:59 pm

LOBINAKING wrote:...do the new Shimano's specifically the Chronarch and Curado now come with bearings that would be similar in performance to the Ceramic's and eliminate the need to replace? Those extra $40.00 dlls could buy tackle instead so any info. on this would be greatly appreciated.
hey "juancho"
as has been stated the chronarch Bs come w/ ARBs, which are an improvement over the stock SS bearings. i havent tried the TGs but have used both ZPI and boca ceramics, IMHO the ceramics arent that much of an improvement over the ARBs.

if upgrading bearings for the new curado 200D, i would also replace the drive shaft bushing (BNT3521) with a bearing for increased smoothness when cranking...not sure what size it is but i suspect there may be an equivalent ARB or even CRBB that will fit ;)

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Thu May 25, 2006 6:37 pm

SLM wrote:Yep, I double checked the schematic and they're BNT 194 bearings. I also opened the sideplate just to be thorough and they're indeed the standard stainless bearings...
Is this good, bad, or indifferent? I would assume that the anti-rust bearings would be the better choice, but I know that the older Curado's are known for their durability so I would think the standard bearings are of good quality.

However, I do think that someone should notify Bass Pro Shops of their website mistake. That could be VERY misleading to the customer!!

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Bass Pro wrote:Is this good, bad, or indifferent? I would assume that the anti-rust bearings would be the better choice, but I know that the older Curado's are known for their durability so I would think the standard bearings are of good quality.
Well, Shimano's stock SS bearings are of excellent quality to begin with. If you clean the stock bearings and relube with a light oil like Yellow Rocket Fuel, Reel-X or Speed-X you should notice a bit more zippiness.

As for the A-RBs:

PROS Since A-RBs are shieldless, there's less friction so even if they have the same precision rating as the stock SS bearings, there is a noticeable improvement in casting. Not a lot, but it's noticeable. The retail cost of A-RBs may not make it worthwhile to upgrade from the stock SS bearings for that tiny bit of performance gain. They are good bearings though.

CONS They may require a little more attention since they're shieldless. Depending on how much usage your reels get, just make sure they're lubed (just one drop in each bearing). Some will also say they're more susceptible to contamination from grit since there are no shields to protect the balls. That's not really a problem unless your reel's been submerged.

If you don't think it's worth spending the bucks for the TG ABEC 7 ceramics try the SS ABEC 7s from Heartland since they're only $16 a pair.

LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LOBINAKING » Fri May 26, 2006 11:55 am

Hello Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the replies, i removed the bearings from both reels last night and cleaned them, i put a drop of Yellow rocket fuel on them and will be testing them this weekend, i will post the results as soon as i can.

Thanks again to all that responded.

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 am

Zenbasser wrote:
...as has been stated the chronarch Bs come w/ ARBs, which are an improvement over the stock SS bearings. i havent tried the TGs but have used both ZPI and boca ceramics, IMHO the ceramics arent that much of an improvement over the ARBs.
I've never used either ZPI or Boca ceramics. I can tell you however that replacing Shimano's standard or A-RB bearings with good Stainless Steel ABEC7 bearings will make a NOTICEABLE difference in casting performance. TG's ABEC7 Ceramic Rocket Bearings will make slightly more difference. Apples to apples, there isn't enough difference in casting performance between a standard Shimano spool bearing (BNT0194) and its A-RB equivalent (BNT2927) to even talk about if both are cleaned and oiled lightly with Yellow Rocket Fuel or the equivalent. Maybe the casting performance increase explains why I sell over 1,000 3x10x4mm SS ABEC7 bearings a year.

LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LOBINAKING » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi Reeldoc,

I am interested in those ABEC 7 SS bearings, what is the cost and can you ship them to San Diego?

Thanks.

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Give me a call tomorrow afternoon @ 316-250-9349 to discuss your exact needs. Shipping them to CA is no problem.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:25 am

ReelDoc/KS wrote:Zenbasser wrote:
...as has been stated the chronarch Bs come w/ ARBs, which are an improvement over the stock SS bearings. i havent tried the TGs but have used both ZPI and boca ceramics, IMHO the ceramics arent that much of an improvement over the ARBs.
I've never used either ZPI or Boca ceramics. I can tell you however that replacing Shimano's standard or A-RB bearings with good Stainless Steel ABEC7 bearings will make a NOTICEABLE difference in casting performance. TG's ABEC7 Ceramic Rocket Bearings will make slightly more difference. Apples to apples, there isn't enough difference in casting performance between a standard Shimano spool bearing (BNT0194) and its A-RB equivalent (BNT2927) to even talk about if both are cleaned and oiled lightly with Yellow Rocket Fuel or the equivalent. Maybe the casting performance increase explains why I sell over 1,000 3x10x4mm SS ABEC7 bearings a year.
I can vouch for the difference using SS ABEC7's from Jim as I recently received and installed a set in my 51 Calcutta.....they are alot faster and noticably smoother. One word of caution though....be on your game with baitcasters....I was/am having a little trouble adjusting to its inherent backlashabilities. I think what I'm doing wrong is my technique is honed in on stock bearings pretty well actually, for these faster bearings it's kind of a less is more type of deal....in other words just a softer smoother casting action...IT WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER BAIT CASTER!

I also want to add that Jim was great to talk to and it will become clear he has a genuine interest in meeting your needs in a short conversation....I received my order in just a few days....Thanks Jim, and welcome :)