Shim Failure, careful ordering 4x7xmm

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shim Failure, careful ordering 4x7xmm

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 02, 2022 4:45 pm

I started a thread a while back concerning what to buy for tightening knobs. I ordered 4mmx7mmx0.25 to tighten so Daiwa knob play. Once I got the shims in they were this comparable size to the stock Daiwa ones:

As you can see they are too large and didn't work. I assume the size to order would be 4mm×6mm? Also 0.25mm is thicker than the Daiwa shim too, I am thinking 0.125mm would be better. Any input or correction would be great. I am also wondering what brand/style of locktite to buy, I have a few reels that I cannot tighten all the way because it over tightens the knob. I planned on using locktite on those handle screws at the appropriate position and hoping it will hold. As it stands now a backwards turn with outward pressure will further loosen the knob. Does locktite work for this and if so which one does anyone use???

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Shim Failure, careful ordering 4x7xmm

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Use purple loctite. It's the low strength formula. I've had the screws strip when using blue loctite, medium strength. Whatever you do, dont use the red. That's for whatever you want to stay there forever.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 pm
Use purple loctite. It's the low strength formula. I've had the screws strip when using blue loctite, medium strength. Whatever you do, dont use the red. That's for whatever you want to stay there forever.
Do you have any guess on the shim size? 4x7's were too big, matched the bearings identically (should have seen this coming) and locked the entire knob up once tightened down. I am about to order some 4x6mm's that come with 10 0.1mm thick and 10 0.2mm thick shims. I hope this time I don't waste another $7-12 getting something wrong... Putting these shims makes a huge difference on some knobs, really wish someone would sell the OEM thing for a fair price/easily available.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Do you have any guess on the shim size? 4x7's were too big, matched the bearings identically (should have seen this coming) and locked the entire knob up once tightened down. I am about to order some 4x6mm's that come with 10 0.1mm thick and 10 0.2mm thick shims. I hope this time I don't waste another $7-12 getting something wrong... Putting these shims makes a huge difference on some knobs, really wish someone would sell the OEM thing for a fair price/easily available.
There are 3 different thickness’ used for shims. I’d have to look up the exact sizes as I havent had to order them for years. RCS knobs come with multiples of all the sizes needed for a perfect shim.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:45 am

iabass8 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
There are 3 different thickness’ used for shims. I’d have to look up the exact sizes as I havent had to order them for years. RCS knobs come with multiples of all the sizes needed for a perfect shim.
Yeah I think 0.125mm will work for most. The .5 and .25 I got were WAY too thick. The main issue was the diameter though. I am trying to find out what size would work, I got 4x7mm so I assume 4x6mm is what the actual Daiwa shims are? The picture I posted was a 4x7mm versus the stock shim.

Leprechaun
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Leprechaun » Tue May 24, 2022 3:15 am

DD64 - Let me help you out. Loooong time lurker, first time poster here. Go to the big auction site and put this into the search engine: "3RACING Stainless Steel 3,4,5,6,7,8,10,12mm Shim Spacers #3RAC-SW TRAXXAS AXIAL"

Of course you want the 4mm pack for Shimano/Daiwa. Abu normally takes the 5mm size.

I'm not a FW bass fisher, rather an inshore SW guy, here on LI. But I own at least 10 FW-sized baitcasters, all pretty heavily modded, and that kit is what I've been using to custom shim my knobs for many years.

Best, Leprechaun

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:24 pm

Did you buy the shims from AliExpress?