Thumbar not Engaging Properly

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
B_reelclean20
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Thumbar not Engaging Properly

Post by B_reelclean20 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:05 am

Good morning everyone, I have a couple of Orra2 that I can't seem to figure out what's going on. Hoping for some help/feedback:
-The thumbar isn't engaging all the time, especially after I spin the reel handle quickly and depress the thumbar. It seems that if the spool is turning quickly and I press the thumb bar, it won't stay down, it comes right back up. If the spool is either moving very slow or not at all then everything works as it should. I have just completed a cleaning of both reels and they were doing it before the cleaning. I was hoping the cleaning would have helped. Could it be clutch/kick level springs, ratchet, kick level?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Thumbar not Engaging Properly

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:05 am

Every time I've had a problem with the thumb bar not engaging it has been the pinion gear. I replaced that gear, and the problem went away.

B_reelclean20
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by B_reelclean20 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. How do you think the pinon gear affects the thumbar not engaging?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:57 pm

B_reelclean20 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:33 pm
Thanks for the advice. How do you think the pinon gear affects the thumbar not engaging?
I have no clue. Probably something to do with clearances and/or alignment. But that's just me guessing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:06 pm

The pinion not sliding back and forth (disengaging from the spool) along with the return springs are basically what pop the thumb bar back up. There are a multitude of different areas it can fail or get stuck, a good greasing and in some scenarios filing down a rough edge or area that is too tight can help.

I would just suggest a simple breakdown, cleaning, and greasing to see if it quits. I had a Gen 2 Revo Winch that did what you describe HORRIBLY. I used it for long distance deep cranking or resistance baits and it was always weird to bomb a cast and then be turning the handle over and over trying to get the reel to engage. I want to say tapping it with the other hand (pretty good thump) would pop it back up. I also think I remember a quicker start of the handle would fully engage the thumb bar too. I know it happened most when I didn't fully depress the thumb bar (a working reel won't do this) and it was like 7/8 depressed. That combined with a gentle slow handle turn caused it to stick every time.

Either way, I would still suggest a good cleaning and re grease. The Orra reels aren't too hard to break down so it shouldn't be too bad.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Why would the spool be turning quickly when you press the thumb bar? The thumb bar is for casting, the spool should be stopped. Are you spinning the handle really fast and pressing the thumb bar to see how long your spool will freespool? If yes, quit doing that. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:30 pm

a1712 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:25 pm
Why would the spool be turning quickly when you press the thumb bar? The thumb bar is for casting, the spool should be stopped. Are you spinning the handle really fast and pressing the thumb bar to see how long your spool will freespool? If yes, quit doing that. Brian.
Yeah I didn't fully read the post, dude said he already cleaned them too. What he is describing is like dropping the clutch on a car over and over. Not good for equipment. I see guys do that on reels to test the free spool, seen people accidentally engage a reel when casting a heavy lure and tear parts up bad.