Steez A HLC Spool mod

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
KOmar
Angler
Angler

Steez A HLC Spool mod

Post by KOmar » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:49 pm

I assume that you are quite disappointed with the casting performance on short and medium distances.
Steez HLC and Zillion HD have the same shaft dimensions, the difference is in the thickness of the inductor and the hardness of the springs.
After switching the spring and inductor from the Zillion to the Steez, I got a 36mm spool that is controlled at short and long distances , and the 36mm spool handles better with 20lb Fluoro.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A HLC Spool mod

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 am

OK, so New 2-spring HLC spring (and inductor) parts are perfectly interchangeable to older Z -brakes?

EDIT: replied that it's not...
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:45 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 am
OK, so New 2-spring HLC spring (and inductor) parts are perfectly interchangeable to older Z -brakes?

=> Have to order those Boost brake parts...
he has swapped between 2 boost spools not older z spool. assuming the z boost spools have done the same as the SV spools. in the sv boost spools the hub of the spool is offset more towards the gearbox side of reel to give a longer shaft to accommodate the 2 springs. i tried putting sv boost components onto a 1012 G1 SV spool and there isn't enough room for the boost system to work as it basically makes it nearly a fixed inductor.

KOmar
Angler
Angler

Post by KOmar » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:59 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:45 pm
he has swapped between 2 boost spools not older z spool. assuming the z boost spools have done the same as the SV spools. in the sv boost spools the hub of the spool is offset more towards the gearbox side of reel to give a longer shaft to accommodate the 2 springs. i tried putting sv boost components onto a 1012 G1 SV spool and there isn't enough room for the boost system to work as it basically makes it nearly a fixed inductor.
Correct, this swap works only between these 2 spools.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:39 pm

OK ... Thanks for info!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:23 am

Nice mod. HLC and flouro don't play nice. You need hyper long casting baits and hyper long casting line to play nice with your hyper long cast spool. Anything above 10# non braid is suffering on the original spool.

Also the Zillion HD spool sounds really controlled from all the accounts I have heard so this is a way to make a 36mm HD spool and a 34mm HLC.
Last edited by LowRange on Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KOmar
Angler
Angler

Post by KOmar » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:15 pm

I bought HLC because I expected better performance with 18 and 20lb FC thanks to 36mm spool. And when I bought HD I feel that zillion handles FC much better then HLC.

Now steez perform better then HLC and HD

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:49 pm

KOmar wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:15 pm
I bought HLC because I expected better performance with 18 and 20lb FC thanks to 36mm spool. And when I bought HD I feel that zillion handles FC much better then HLC.

Now steez perform better then HLC and HD
Then never gets mentioned but HLC spools are "fast" spools and fast spools don't do well with big diameter, clumsy stiff line like heaver monos and flouro lines. You really want to match your braking profile to your baits and line. All my centrifugals and my fast spool Daiwas are braid use only.