Daiwa four slot pinions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa four slot pinions

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:01 am

Does anyone know whether any of the Daiwa 6.8 and 7.2 brass gears have a four slot pinion gear?

IIRC, most higher end JDM Daiwas from this era had the 4-slot pinion gears. Can anyone confirm this?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa four slot pinions

Post by bronzefly » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:52 am

Van - I just checked an extra set of Right Hand PX-R 6.8:1 gears that I have and they have four slots on the pinion gear. The Tackle Trap has a bunch of both RH and LH SV105 7.2:1 gears coming sometime around February 2023 that were ordered to keep the Monoblock, PX68/PX-R, Pixy, Alphas, Sol, CV-Z, reels up and running longer since those gear sets were discontinued. Once those get in, remind me and I'll be happy to check them for you!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:40 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:52 am
Van - I just checked an extra set of Right Hand PX-R 6.8:1 gears that I have and they have four slots on the pinion gear. The Tackle Trap has a bunch of both RH and LH SV105 7.2:1 gears coming sometime around February 2023 that were ordered to keep the Monoblock, PX68/PX-R, Pixy, Alphas, Sol, CV-Z, reels up and running longer since those gear sets were discontinued. Once those get in, remind me and I'll be happy to check them for you!
Do any of those work on the Millionaire CTSV? I got one and worry about parts sometimes.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:40 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Do any of those work on the Millionaire CTSV? I got one and worry about parts sometimes.
They don't work on the CT models...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:01 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sorry I missed your reply here...thanks for the reply. I'll likely pick up a 7.2 since I have a 2-slot 6.8 brass set in my OG Purple Alphas. Did you get a chance to check on whether the 7.2 has a 4-slot pinion gear, or will you know once the gears arrive in Feb?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:59 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:01 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Sorry I missed your reply here...thanks for the reply. I'll likely pick up a 7.2 since I have a 2-slot 6.8 brass set in my OG Purple Alphas. Did you get a chance to check on whether the 7.2 has a 4-slot pinion gear, or will you know once the gears arrive in Feb?
No problem. I have the 7.2:1 gear set installed in a couple of Monoblocks, etc, and I'm not inclined to take them out to answer the question. I'll know when they show up and will update here, but going from memory for what that's worth, I believe that they are 4 slotted. They will be available on the new Tackle Trap website once it gets up and running!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:33 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:59 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:01 pm
bronzefly wrote:
No problem. I have the 7.2:1 gear set installed in a couple of Monoblocks, etc, and I'm not inclined to take them out to answer the question. I'll know when they show up and will update here, but going from memory for what that's worth, I believe that they are 4 slotted. They will be available on the new Tackle Trap website once it gets up and running!
If you have time, just open up the side plate on your Monoblock, take out the spool and peek at the pinion. I'm pretty sure that it is likely a 4-slot if it's the JDM gear set.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:40 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:40 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Based upon a few conversations I have had, the 7.2 main gear should be the same, however you would have to order a Millionaire CT SV pinion in the same gear ratio in order to get it to fit the smaller 30 mm spool, otherwise the Millionaire CT SV pinion gear is slightly longer than the standard 34 mm spool pinion.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:46 am

I just won't be too rough on my Millionaire. Scared to death I will have a beloved reel break and not be able to find parts. Really excited TackleTrap is opening back up, have some parts I am excited to get in.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:02 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:46 am
I just won't be too rough on my Millionaire. Scared to death I will have a beloved reel break and not be able to find parts. Really excited TackleTrap is opening back up, have some parts I am excited to get in.
Dude, those gears can take a Schiteload of work because the frame is extremely strong and rigid and the dual bearing support, and the gears are quality proven brass. So long as you aren't cranking heavy torque deep divers and 1 oz big blades spinnerbaits and chatters all day, I think those gears will last for many years. The other thing that would damage those gears is engaging the pinion while the spool is still spinning, or heavy braid hard hooksets with stiff rods, big jigs/frogs in heavy cover, the typical suspects.

FWIW, the 6.8 and 5.8 duralumin seem to have fewer reports of issues than the 7.2, most likely because of lower gear ratio and more torque output, and that the 6.8 were sold in lesser quantities than the 7.2.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:48 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:02 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Dude, those gears can take a Schiteload of work because the frame is extremely strong and rigid and the dual bearing support, and the gears are quality proven brass. So long as you aren't cranking heavy torque deep divers and 1 oz big blades spinnerbaits and chatters all day, I think those gears will last for many years. The other thing that would damage those gears is engaging the pinion while the spool is still spinning, or heavy braid hard hooksets with stiff rods, big jigs/frogs in heavy cover, the typical suspects.

FWIW, the 6.8 and 5.8 duralumin seem to have fewer reports of issues than the 7.2, most likely because of lower gear ratio and more torque output, and that the 6.8 were sold in lesser quantities than the 7.2.
I thought the Millionaire and SV105 7.2 gears (even with different pinions) are both brass. I am using mine with 8lb fluorocarbon and a ML rod so it should be fine. I hope they rerelease a new Millionaire or Ryoga, really enjoy my Daiwa round reel.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:48 pm
dragon1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I thought the Millionaire and SV105 7.2 gears (even with different pinions) are both brass. I am using mine with 8lb fluorocarbon and a ML rod so it should be fine. I hope they rerelease a new Millionaire or Ryoga, really enjoy my Daiwa round reel.
The 6.8 and 7.2 are brass...some of the 5.8 in limited edition reels like the I'ZE Light and Monoblocks, were ceramic coated duralumin IIRC.

I doubt that you will have any issues with how you are intending to use your Millionaire CT.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:14 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:43 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

The 6.8 and 7.2 are brass...some of the 5.8 in limited edition reels like the I'ZE Light and Monoblocks, were ceramic coated duralumin IIRC.

I doubt that you will have any issues with how you are intending to use your Millionaire CT.
To be honest, I have never had a reel mess up on me, other than small issues. My original Tatula Type R got a scratch on the T-wing, Daiwa fixed it and replaced my anti reverse for some reason. We had a Revo Premier gen 1 get very rough, Abu sent us a gen 2 and it lost smoothness pretty quick too. My Chronarch MGL had a light buzz but was still fresh feeling and in new condition.
So that being said and with my current uses, I don't see the Millionaire messing up. Only reel I am rough on at the moment is an old Zillion TWS. Using it with a 7'11"H and 25lb fluorocarbon for swimbaits and A-rigs. Gonna grab some 5.5 gears from TackleTrap once they reopen to help the longevity.
To the original topic, those 5.8 gears you mentioned seem interesting. I would fear for a ceramic coated gear.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:29 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:14 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:43 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

To be honest, I have never had a reel mess up on me, other than small issues. My original Tatula Type R got a scratch on the T-wing, Daiwa fixed it and replaced my anti reverse for some reason. We had a Revo Premier gen 1 get very rough, Abu sent us a gen 2 and it lost smoothness pretty quick too. My Chronarch MGL had a light buzz but was still fresh feeling and in new condition.
So that being said and with my current uses, I don't see the Millionaire messing up. Only reel I am rough on at the moment is an old Zillion TWS. Using it with a 7'11"H and 25lb fluorocarbon for swimbaits and A-rigs. Gonna grab some 5.5 gears from TackleTrap once they reopen to help the longevity.
To the original topic, those 5.8 gears you mentioned seem interesting. I would fear for a ceramic coated gear.
I have never had a set of 5.0/5.1/5.8 gears go bad from either Shimano or Daiwa. The ceramic coating is very tough and helps with providing a harder surface for both smoothness and durability, while the material is duralumin (Daiwa got this right even back then). Lower gear ratios are usually more durable than higher gear ratios, and many of these older gears are also cut with "larger teeth", per se, which also helps with improving durability.

Also, the standard JDM CVZ Millionaire 103/105 had brass 5.8 gears.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:22 pm

I think the theory (one reason) why lower gears last longer is the larger pinion. Eventually if you had a 1:1 ratio the main gear and pinion would be the same diameter. So a 5.3 should have a larger diameter pinion than a 9 gear ratio by a fair amount. I have not been a fan of any reels over an 8 gear or about 35" per turn.