Painting Baitcasting Reels

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Painting Baitcasting Reels

Post by cadman » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:44 pm

So I am going to paint some ABU Revo Premiers Gen 1 and 2, and if I recall correctly, if your anti-reverse bearing goes out, you have to replace the whole side plate. I believe they are not removable. With that said, I tried to tap the anti-reverse bearing out of the side plate and it doesn't seem like it wants to budge. I could whack it but them I might also crack the side plate. So, if I put the side plate with the bearing into a ultra-sonic cleaner, clean it and then blow it out, do you think the bearing will be ok after that. Does anyone else have an ideas on how to do this? I will eventually tape everything off, but I need to get all this grease off first. Thanks in advance.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Painting Baitcasting Reels

Post by cadman » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:40 am

Well, after several failed attempts, I got the bearing out of my side plate. Thank You Slazmo. After lightly trying to tap it out with a socket and a plastic ended hammer, I guess the bearing needed a little more persuasion. I took the same socket and a metal hammer and slowly started to hit it a little harder and slowly the bearing came out. It didn't dawn on me but this was a pressed in bearing. All the ARB bearings I am used to seeing are hex shaped. The hex shaped bearings keep the bearing from spinning around inside the side plate thus defeating it's purpose. This was a completely round ARB bearing and if it wasn't pressed in, then it would spin around making it useless. Now on to painting and hopefully I didn't damage the bearing.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:28 pm

cadman wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:40 am
Well, after several failed attempts, I got the bearing out of my side plate. Thank You Slazmo. After lightly trying to tap it out with a socket and a plastic ended hammer, I guess the bearing needed a little more persuasion. I took the same socket and a metal hammer and slowly started to hit it a little harder and slowly the bearing came out. It didn't dawn on me but this was a pressed in bearing. All the ARB bearings I am used to seeing are hex shaped. The hex shaped bearings keep the bearing from spinning around inside the side plate thus defeating it's purpose. This was a completely round ARB bearing and if it wasn't pressed in, then it would spin around making it useless. Now on to painting and hopefully I didn't damage the bearing.
Keep us updated...I really want to see where this goes.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:39 pm

I will. I have high hopes and really pumped up about getting some reels painted. I still have to get a paint booth and some other things. This will be a work in progress.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:55 pm

There is no way that you cannot remove that AR bearing. Abu isn't THIS dumb.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:03 am

If they got it in, then it has to somehow come out. The questions was if it was glued in, then how much force would be needed to get it out without cracking or distorting the side plate. Anyway, I got it out with out any damage to the side plate. The tricky part is over. Now on to painting which will be the next challenge.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing the process as well as the finished product.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."