Grease on Gears

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Grease on Gears

Post by cadman » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:46 am

So I am curious on what most guys do. When you put grease on your gears. Do you put grease only on the pinion gear and let it work its way around the main gear or do you put grease on the main gear and let that work its way around the pinion gear? Maybe you put grease on both. Is there a right or wrong way to do this? Just spoke to some people in my club and some do it one way and others do it another way. Thanks for any input.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Grease on Gears

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:13 am

When I do lube my reels, I grease both the main and pinion, when the main gear is aluminum.
But, since I replaced a lot of my Quantum reel gears with brass main gears, I don't worry about greasing them, or any other reel that has a brass main gear. Grease them once, and they are good to go for a long time.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Grease on Gears

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:23 am

So long as the grease is evenly brushed or applied on the main, there will be enough to work into the pinion gear. You can grease both the main and pinion, but unless it is a very thin and uniform coating, there will likely be excess pushed out when the gears mesh. It won't hurt anything to have excess grease, just makes for more cleanup later on and perhaps a more sluggish feel when cranking.

Also, the type grease applied during different times of the year can feel different...i.e., I apply a thinner grease like Abu Silicote during colder months, and a thicker mixture of Cal's tan drag/Abu Silicote during warmer months...or just go with the factory recommended grease or "higher rated" more expensive grease, like Krytox 227.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."