Need Daiwa JDM Reel Servicing Recs

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Kodiak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need Daiwa JDM Reel Servicing Recs

Post by Kodiak » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought a friend a Daiwa Certate spinning reel for his 50th.
It's starting to make a rubbing sound on the retrieve. He tried sending it to Daiwa in SoCal, but they told him that they don't service JDM models.(? - They've serviced my JDM Certate in the past)

Is there anyone that you would recommend that services JDM spinning reels? Bay Area preferred, but I suppose my friend wouldn't mind shipping anywhere if it's someplace trusted.

Thanks all for your help.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need Daiwa JDM Reel Servicing Recs

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Unfortunately JDM Daiwa reels that have Magsealed bearings are often non-serviceable outside of Japan. It's one of those inconvenient truths many have had to face when buying the less expensive JDM version and an issue arises. We've been a Daiwa Warranty and Executive Service Center for a long time now, and we can't generally get parts for Magsealed reels. Depending on the issue however, we may be able to assist.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Kodiak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kodiak » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:26 am

Thank you very much for the reply.

That is an issue I hadn't known about. I guess I got lucky in the past w/ the Certates I got off eBay.

I'll forward your website info to my friend.

Much appreciated.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:48 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:17 pm
Unfortunately JDM Daiwa reels that have Magsealed bearings are often non-serviceable outside of Japan. It's one of those inconvenient truths many have had to face when buying the less expensive JDM version and an issue arises. We've been a Daiwa Warranty and Executive Service Center for a long time now, and we can't generally get parts for Magsealed reels. Depending on the issue however, we may be able to assist.
Are the bearings different sizes? It seems weird that they would have different components for basically the same reel. Most of my reels aren't JDM, but it's a little concerning since I have a couple of Airitys.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:23 am

Learned the hard way on a Complex that had to go back to Japan for service.

JDM baitcasters are easy compared to spinners when you have an issue.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Remove the magsealed bearing and insert a ZZ or whatever your taste, just shim the difference of the thickness.

That what people were doing here as they didn't want to pay $50 a bearing from memory.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:14 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm
Remove the magsealed bearing and insert a ZZ or whatever your taste, just shim the difference of the thickness.

That what people were doing here as they didn't want to pay $50 a bearing from memory.
That sounds easy if you're a reel tech capable of tearing down and reassembling an Exist, Certate, or Luvias to name a few. At one time people had the option to buy the actual Magsealed bearings. Now you can't, and most aren't capable or willing to tear into spinning reels like that.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:10 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:14 pm
Slazmo wrote:

That sounds easy if you're a reel tech capable of tearing down and reassembling an Exist, Certate, or Luvias to name a few. At one time people had the option to buy the actual Magsealed bearings. Now you can't, and most aren't capable or willing to tear into spinning reels like that.
Short of having the side plate keys of today's monocoque body reels, the older style reels even if had the magsealed bearings are very straight forward.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:44 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:10 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:14 pm
Slazmo wrote:

Short of having the side plate keys of today's monocoque body reels, the older style reels even if had the magsealed bearings are very straight forward.
Clearly you know your way around spinning reel repair and maintenance. I'd venture a guess that the vast majority don't have the keys or the knowledge to take those MQ reels apart and put them back together properly. I'd also venture a guess that a lot of guys don't know how or want to tear apart a pre-MQ Magsealed reel, find the proper sized and quality replacement bearings and or shims, then put it all back together. I'd also venture a guess that there aren't hundreds of qualified reel techs out there just waiting to do this kind of work. Not to mention the difficulty of finding one, sending in the reel, waiting for parts and repair service, and finally paying the bill at the end of it all.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 pm

I'd hazard a guess that this is case closed for playing venture a guess.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:05 am

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 pm
I'd hazard a guess that this is case closed for playing venture a guess.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:51 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:17 pm
We've been a Daiwa Warranty and Executive Service Center for a long time now, and we can't generally get parts for Magsealed reels.
Just wondering how a US based Daiwa warranty center "generally" can't get parts for magsealed reels when a multiple variations of magsealed reels are sold under warranty in the US by authorized retailers?

Hobey baker took the statement and assumed that the JDM reels and the US reels have different parts. By and in large we know that is not the case.

It's understandable that Daiwa would not want to warranty JDM reels at US authorized warranty centers. If they did, they would put dealers at even a greater disadvantage. I think that is 100% fair.

It all comes down to risk tolerance. There are people who buy the warranty at the cash register on the blender they just bought at Target, and those who don't. Same goes for extended warranty's on cars, overall the warranty service makes a killing. Risk tolerance.
You can also treat a JDM reel like a Range Rover and sell it before it reaches the proverbial 70k miles, hence cutting your repair risk greatly.
I've owned about 10 magsealed reels, 8 of which were purchased from Japan. I would guess my overall savings was around $1,200 to $1,500. Fortunately, none have had to be repaired. At this point, if I had to ship to Japan or just take a loss on a reel, my risk will still have paid off.
With all that said, the Tackle Trap and many other US based shops deserve to be supported and are a valuable outlet to many people. If I am buying US, I am buying from TTT.
If people do a little research before a purchase and understand the risk of purchasing a reel from Japan, they really shouldn't be too upset when things go sideways and they have to go to extra lengths for a repair.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:08 am

It ultimately boils down to each reel model. Daiwa Japan offers models that differ from Daiwa USA. I’ll use Certate LT as an example. Daiwa USA offers a Certate 5000D and Japan offers a Certate 5000D-XH. While most of the parts are interchangeable, the gears from the XH can not be purchased in the US from Daiwa, and Daiwa Japan refuses to sell them. I’ve tried ordering them from several JDM parts suppliers including Plat, Japan Tackle, And Hedgehog Studio just to name a few. Another example is the Morethan PE SV. It’s essentially a Steez A, however the 8.6:1 gear ratio is unique to that reel. You can not buy that gear set. Thankfully the Zillion G gears will crossover into that platform and you can get 8.5:1 in it now.

While buying JDM reels at the moment is cost saving, a single repair can and most likely will eat up the savings. The gear set from a Certate is around $140 retail, and then most shops are $35-$50 labor on installing. It’s just a chance you take. I own several JDM reels, and a bunch of US models. I am fortunate to have the knowledge to repair my own stuff, but many people don’t. These newer reels aren’t getting any cheaper to produce or maintain.