Alphas AIR TW Spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Alphas AIR TW Spool

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:43 am

Been looking to grab a new reel, and I really like the GekkaBijin, just not the biggest fan of the super low capacity spool, and do not want to use braid. This being said, I cannot find a place to buy the Alphas AIR TW spool. I assumed it would swap directly in, but cannot find one to buy. I'd be okay with trading the Gekka spool too, just lost on the whole matter.

Same went for the Zillion TW HD, I was ready to get one, but wanted to drop a BOOST Shallow in there (assuming they swap).

I know both of the AIR spools are 28mm (Gekka and AIR TW) and both the Zillion spools are 34mm, so I assume there is no issue?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas AIR TW Spool

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:02 am

Should be swappable as you said as spool sizes are same. From Plat you can buy Steez Air spool. I'm not sure is there some minor difference in a inductor or not, and Steez spool might be 0.1 g (or something) lighter. I like GekkaBijin spool, but spool volume is too small for me, and because of that I have thin backing line (much of it) and something 30 m of strong casting line.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm

I think hobie-wan said he swapped spool between both and see no effect. My concern is about line lay on spool which Gekka is narrower and if worm gear incorporates with width of spool surface. Anyway If you don’t wanna use braid that make me wonder, how much 4-6lb FC would reg air spool hold in reality? I have Ray’s spool on my alphas (32mm spool) and only hold 10lb 832 braid less than 80-90 yds.

Zillion HD than swap spool? Might as well get silver wolf If you don’t mind aluminum gear. Seriously first time I hold the HD, I told myself dang this reel is heavy compare to my regular use zillion sv tw and alphas. It is fine since this is reel for moving bait and heavy jig but I managed to swap to carbon handle and star drag to shade some weight off. BTW on my Zillion SV TW I have ammo spool (fix inductor) and Ray’s SHALLOW (sv spool) that perform quite good.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:16 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm
I think hobie-wan said he swapped spool between both and see no effect. My concern is about line lay on spool which Gekka is narrower and if worm gear incorporates with width of spool surface.
I have GekkaBijin and full width Roro spool for it. GekkaBijin has standard line guide. It doesn't have any issues in line lay in case of full width spool. But it has a little issues with it in case of narrow standard spool...