Non marring tool option for handle nuts etc …

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Non marring tool option for handle nuts etc …

Post by uljersey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:43 am

Knipex pliers wrench in the micro XS size …
9A7F3EB1-F31C-41E1-B379-33AA3BEDDBCE.jpeg
9A7F3EB1-F31C-41E1-B379-33AA3BEDDBCE.jpeg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
For those not familiar with plier wrenches, these are NOT channel lock pliers that use a pivot to achieve clamping force. The jaws on these stay parallel throughout the entire travel range. The more force applied to the handles, the tighter the grip. As with all sizes of these, the jaws are non serrated and will not gouge, distort or mar fastener surfaces and are suitable for anodized handle nuts and such. The capacity is 0-21 mm which is more than adequate to handle anything you’d encounter on a reel.

Knipex invented the concept quite a few years back but the patents have expired so everyone is in on the game now but they are the only manufacturer making them in this micro size. They are German designed & manufactured and the quality is flawless. I use the larger sizes daily in my trade working on diesel engines. They for the most part have replaced my crescent (adjustable) wrenches as they are more versatile and the grip is superior.

https://www.knipex.com/pliers-wrench-xs

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Non marring tool option for handle nuts etc …

Post by Slazmo » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:50 pm

And they're how expensive.

Could just use a carbon nut wrench.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:00 pm

Knipex is pricey, but some of the best. I have a pair of needlenose and they are a pleasure to use.
I'll agree, there are a 100 cheaper ways to safely take off your handlenut. But in the same vein, someone with a rod/reel from Walmart can outfish someone with a $1,200 combo.
Sometimes it's not just the end result you are looking for...

Plus, this suggestion is from a high end mechanic!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:09 pm

Yeah, can’t argue the price factor but just throwing an option out there. A good tool to carry in an on board tool kit for the boat, mountain bike etc as it has a decent working range.

I have quite a tool inventory from my 30+ year career as a mechanic. While I do own a good bit of the “big 3” (Snap On, Mac, Matco
) ,much of my collection is actually an eclectic mix of every brand imaginable. You learn over time what not to compromise on and what you can go cheap with to get through a one time situation. Knipex tools are a joy to work with and are one of my “no compromise” items.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:43 pm

Check out Bojo tools
All composite wrench "extreme material"

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 03, 2023 1:00 pm

I thought I remember hearing on here ages ago that you can use a thin plastic bag between your wrench or socket to prevent marring. I've never done it though.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed May 03, 2023 1:25 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:43 am
Knipex pliers wrench in the micro XS size …

9A7F3EB1-F31C-41E1-B379-33AA3BEDDBCE.jpeg

For those not familiar with plier wrenches, these are NOT channel lock pliers that use a pivot to achieve clamping force. The jaws on these stay parallel throughout the entire travel range. The more force applied to the handles, the tighter the grip. As with all sizes of these, the jaws are non serrated and will not gouge, distort or mar fastener surfaces and are suitable for anodized handle nuts and such. The capacity is 0-21 mm which is more than adequate to handle anything you’d encounter on a reel.

Knipex invented the concept quite a few years back but the patents have expired so everyone is in on the game now but they are the only manufacturer making them in this micro size. They are German designed & manufactured and the quality is flawless. I use the larger sizes daily in my trade working on diesel engines. They for the most part have replaced my crescent (adjustable) wrenches as they are more versatile and the grip is superior.

https://www.knipex.com/pliers-wrench-xs
Thank you for the tip. Just ordered the wrench.

I have quite a few Knipex tools and they are all fantastic!

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu May 04, 2023 4:53 am

Knipex is great, I have a few of their pliers for reel work including the pliers wrench. I also use the fine tipped straight grabbing pliers, the curved grabbing pliers, the round nose pliers (excellent for re-seating clutch springs). Yeah they are expensive, but you do get what you pay for when it comes to tools.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu May 04, 2023 10:26 am

The Knipex wire cutters are the best there is. I hooked myself deep with a treble while cleaning out some of my tackle and it quickly and easily cut through the hook so that I could get the crankbait off. Then I just used the line around the shank trick and had someone yank the bajeezus out of the line.