Servicing LT MQ MagSeal spinners

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Servicing LT MQ MagSeal spinners

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:56 pm

Where can I send these reels? I have a 2013 Certate 2510R-PE and would like to pick up an LT Certate or Luvias. When I go to The Tackle Trap the only options are for Daiwa Warranty or Daiwa Executive Service, neither of which my 2013 Certate qualifies for?

How do I get these reel a compete service and maintenance, especially the JDM ones.

Thanks.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Servicing LT MQ MagSeal spinners

Post by godshippy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Did you ever find someone or somewhere that you could send your reel too?

This is my fear with the Magseal Steez A2--I don't know where you're supposed to pick up this oil or how to clean it out properly!?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 am

godshippy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:13 pm

This is my fear with the Magseal Steez A2--I don't know where you're supposed to pick up this oil or how to clean it out properly!?
Magseal spinning reels with just the magsealed anti reverse clutch sleeve are very easy to service and replenish. Magsealed ball bearings like the pinion bearing found in the steez a2 and saltiga on the other hand…..not so much. Requires a FAT stack of powerful magnets (i use n52 neodymium) and a water pik/some form of pressurized cleaning tool to clean out properly to service.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:04 am

For spinning reel anti reverse clutch sleeve magseal all you have to do is remove the clutch sleeve from the magnetic clutch retaining plate, wipe off the old fluid/residue completely, and replenish a tiny tiny amount which will magnetically fill the gap between the sleeve and the plate. For bearings you gotta use a stack of powerful magnets to pull off the magnetic bearing shields, use a waterpik or bearing blaster to wash off all the residual ferrofluid and grease, regrease the ball bearing as normal, then place down the magnetic shield and apply a tiny amount of ferrofluid to seal the gap between inner/outer bearing race and the shield, then finally place down the 2nd non magnet washer/shield. Repeat for both sides

be careful as the inner shield isn’t actually a shield it’s a washer shaped neodymium magnet and it’s fairly fragile. It will shatter if you let it accidentally magnetically slam into something. Do not attempt to use a hook or something to physically pick out these shields you’ll only damage them.

You can typically just kinda forget about the magsealed bearing for the most part. For freshwater use it’s gonna be a non factor and you shouldn’t really worry about it. In the salt so long as that seal integrity is intact I’ve abused by original steez A magseal bearing for 3ish years without touching it (still did regular cleaning and service just didn’t touch the magseal bearing) and didn’t ever have an issue.

Pic is the magseal pinion bearing of the steez taken apart
Attachments
IMG_3843.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 45862 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:28 pm

Perfect, thank you! I'm sending in my 2013 Real Four Certate 2510R-PE, but on the 19 Morethan and Steez A HLC I have, that's good to know I won't have to mess with the MagSeal bearings.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:29 pm

godshippy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Yes, I found a service in GA at a tackle shop that will service Daiwa MagSeal spinners.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:54 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:28 pm
Perfect, thank you! I'm sending in my 2013 Real Four Certate 2510R-PE, but on the 19 Morethan and Steez A HLC I have, that's good to know I won't have to mess with the MagSeal bearings.
If you’re fairly confident in taking apart a baitcaster and that magseal bearing ever does go bad you can always just swap it to a normal bearing + 1mm washer (aka magseal delete). Fairly common in japan to do it people don’t wanna pay the $50 for a new bearing and again if it’s only used in fresh water it really doesn’t matter either way

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm

“Magseal Delete Kit” aka a normal 5x9x3 bearing and a 1mm thick washer because the magseal bearing is a non standard size at 5x9x4
Attachments
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg (207.19 KiB) Viewed 40686 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:52 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm
“Magseal Delete Kit” aka a normal 5x9x3 bearing and a 1mm thick washer because the magseal bearing is a non standard size at 5x9x4
Absolutely, I have actually discussed this with Greg aka, "Rise", as he has done it to all of his MagSeal Daiwas.

In so far as servicing my baitcasters, the only thing I don't really like to do, and have yet to become really proficient at, is accessing the frame bearings. Otherwise I can take apart and properly clean, service, and do a pretty good full maintenance on my BCs.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:29 am

HellaBread wrote:
This is awesome! Great find!

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 am

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:52 pm
HellaBread wrote:
Absolutely, I have actually discussed this with Greg aka, "Rise", as he has done it to all of his MagSeal Daiwas.

In so far as servicing my baitcasters, the only thing I don't really like to do, and have yet to become really proficient at, is accessing the frame bearings. Otherwise I can take apart and properly clean, service, and do a pretty good full maintenance on my BCs.
An abc hobby bearing packing tool is gonna be the best purchase of your life

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:40 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 am
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:52 pm
HellaBread wrote:

An abc hobby bearing packing tool is gonna be the best purchase of your life
I'll check it out.