Working on Reels - Tips!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Working on Reels - Tips!

Post by ChuckE » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:09 am

I decided to make this a seperate topic, since more and more TT members are working on their own reels. So, here's a few tips I can pass along on disassembling reels. Some of these are common sense, but bear repeating. I'm sure others will have some of their own:

- I keep all my reel schematics in a notebook, that has clear plastic page protectors that I can slide the schematic into. When I get the paperwork for a reel, I slip it into the protector, so I know exactly where to find it. Any notes I take during reel disassembly, I also put in the protector, so I have it later.

- You can download reel schematics for many reels off the web. (Previous TT posts covered some good sites for this, so I won't repeat them again.) The nice thing about many of these schematics is that they come in .pdf format, and you can increase the size of an area by hitting the "+" button in Adobe reader, and print out a blown up section of the schematic. Many schematic show a lot more detail if you blow them up, and they are much easier to read.

- I keep a log when I work on my own personal reels. I've found that I have so many reels, that I need to track mods, upgrades, bearings, etc. on each reel. That way later, if I have a question or need to know what I did, I can go back thru the log and find it. I mark each reel with a number (e.g. 1, 2, 3, etc.), and refer to the type and number of reel in the log when making entries. For instance, the last entry in my log was: Alphas ito #2 - upgraded drag washers to Carbontex, lubed them with Cal's, checked drag after upgrade worked fine. I use a 3 ring binder for my log and plain 3 ring notebook paper. You don't need anything fancy, just something that will help later.

- I keep an clipboard handy with 3 ring notebook paper at my workbench, so I can take notes. Trust me when I say 'sticky pad notes' just don't find their way into the notebooks later.

- My notebook also has a page where I started to keep important phone numbers, like Daiwa parts, etc. However, I have to admit that I don't keep it updated very well. :(

- Use the right tool for the job when working on your reels. Use sockets when possible, the right width flat tipped screwdrivers, etc. The wrong tool can lead to part damage, and you can even slip and scratch the paint on a reel plate. Philips head screws found on the inside frame of most reels can be especially troublesome, since they are seldom removed once they leave the factory. Select the right philips head screwdriver and exercising care when removing one of these screws will prevent major headaches later.

- Don't overtighten screws and nuts, since you can easily damage the threads on mating components and/or distort or score metal in the process. If you need to insure something won't work loose (like screws in a reel handle), put a very small dab of 'Blue Loctite' on the first few screw threads before putting it in. Most parts won't need this however.

- Make sure the work area has plenty of light so you can see what you are doing. You'd be suprised at how easy it is to momentarily loose some of the small reel parts, on a poorly lit workbench.

- I've laid parts out on the bench and put a small piece of tape marked with the part number beside them, for reels I've never worked on before. (Many washers look the same, but are really a little thinner or bigger in inner diameter, or made from slightly different material than the others.)

Chuck
Last edited by ChuckE on Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Working on Reels - Tips!

Post by just4kix » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:18 am

Great tips as usual Chuck! Thanks! :D

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Chuck...you have entirely too much time on your hands.....J/K

Actually, you obviously reely love reels....get it...reely =))))

OK :oops:

So this is not an entirely useless post....I read somewhere ,maybe on here, when taking the bearing clip retainers out...place the reel in a large clear plastic bag so when it inevitably at some point boomerangs across the room you at least have a snowballs chance of finding it.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Scot,
I hadn't heard that tip about the clear plastic bag, but that would definately work. I think I had that little bearing spring clip fly out on the first 4 or 5 reels that I disassembled, and you are right, you have a snowball's chance of finding it. Oh I guess I did find one a few weeks later, it was sticking to a corner of my workshop, in a small cobweb.
:lol22:

I do love reels!

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:29 pm

Ok Chucke, hear are a few.

IMO putting bearing in the knobs give a reel the best feel of any upgrade, and putting in a good set of drag washers gives a reels its best performance upgrade.

1. About the plastic. Use a piece of clear saran wrap over tour hands and reel. It is easier to work with when removing e-clips and bearing retainer springs.

2. Before starting work on a reel. Lay out a white lent free cloath or towel to work on. It is easier to see the parts on. Plus the parts will not slide and roll around on the cloath like it does on a hard table.

3. Get a good magnet and magnatize a small screw driver by stroking the magnet down the shaft of the screw driver a few times. It makes a great tool to pick up those small parts that stubby finger fumble with.

4. Lay ouy your parts you take off in the order you removed them. Get a set way to lay your parts. Eather face up or face down the way you remove them. If you do this every time you work on a reel, you will not have a problem.

5. A good holigen desk lamp to be able to see those small parts.

6. Get a 3700 tackle box and use it (them) for reel parts. It makes it easy to keep up with spair parts.

7. If you dont have a Schematic of your reel. Go to southwesterparts on the net. They have over 3,000 schematics.

8. The best for last. If your kids are old enough. Kick them out and turn their room into a fishing room. =)))) =)))) =))))

D.R.

God Bless

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:13 am

Hey Chuck, what do ya think about using a heavily diluted Simple Green Solution and a fine bristle tooth brush for removing grease from a Drive Gear and Pinion Gear? :)

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:11 am

j4k,
I've done that with the simple green and the brush and it works pretty good. Simple green is a cleaner and not a solvent, so it is pretty safe to use on just about any reel components (except for drag washers). Just give it a good rinsing with fresh water when done and make sure it is dry before reapplying grease/oil on the parts

However, normally what I do for metal drive gears and pinion gears is wipe off the excess grease and then soak/swirl/clean it in industrial acetone. [Don't use "beauty shop' acetone or similiar solvents, since the fragrance and perfumes will leave a residue and may even discolor some metals.] Be sure to excersice the proper precautions for acetone and other solvents, because it is flammable and toxic to beathe. Don't use a hair dryer to dry components if you use any cleaning solvents.

Chuck
TackleTour

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Great suggestions Chuck but knowing my luck I think I'll stick with the Simple Green :lol:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:37 pm

You forgot to add guys:

1.- Cover the reel with something like a cloth before removing the sideplates and use the cloth to remove them, those little, teeny, tiny, microscopic springs reels have inside have a tendency to fly all over the place and you ain´t gonna find them or it´s going to take a long time before you find them.

Been there done that. :roll:

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:57 am

... and if you ever use Loctite, make sure it's the BLUE kind (if your ever want to remove that screw again, that is!). :!:

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:20 pm

fishing elbow wrote:
... and if you ever use Loctite, make sure it's the BLUE kind (if your ever want to remove that screw again, that is!).

good point! I went up and edited the post to reflect that.

Chuck
TackleTour

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:09 pm

ChuckE wrote:- Use the right tool for the job when working on your reels. Use sockets when possible, the right width flat tipped screwdrivers, etc. The wrong tool can lead to part damage, and you can even slip and scratch the paint on a reel plate. Philips head screws found on the inside frame of most reels can be especially troublesome, since they are seldom removed once they leave the factory. Select the right philips head screwdriver and exercising care when removing one of these screws will prevent major headaches later.
ChuckE is exactly right about using the right tools. When it comes to screwdrivers for reel maintenance, there is only one choice IMHO. Wiha makes the finest precision screwdrivers you can find. They have hardeened tips and should last you a lifetime.www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm

I've found the following to be the most used sizes in my shop:

Phillips (http://www.wihatools.com/261serie.htm):
26105 Phillips Precision #0 3.0 50mm (1.9") 145mm (5.7") $3.64
26110 Phillips Precision #1 4.0 60mm (2.3") 170mm (6.6") $3.96

Standard (http://www.wihatools.com/260serie.htm):
26015 Slotted 1.5 .25mm 2.0 40mm 120mm $3.96
26020 Slotted 2.0 .40mm 2.0 40mm 120mm $3.64
26035 Slotted 3.5 .60mm 3.5 60mm 170mm $3.64

I picked mine up at a local hobby shop.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:06 am

Last night I did not follow my own advice and sent a bearing retainer clip somewhere that only God and Satellites could track it. :evil:

I keep them in stock. :lol:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:00 am

Hey DR,
Check the cob webs in the corners of your shop. That's where I found one of mine about a month after I 'launched' it. :lol:

Chuck
TackleTour

conniek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by conniek » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 pm

here is a tip for you whenremoving the bearing retainers. position your forefinger over the backside of the clip. using a pair of tweezers, grab the wire, and move it around to almost the end, push in the clip and raise up. all the while keeping finger over clip. tore install try this, position clip into groove on backside of hole, put forefinger over hole and clip, using the tweezers, walk around the clip with ends of tweezers and push in and then position the clip in groove. Hope this helps. and lastly practice, practice and more practice.