17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG knocking sound

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
colinbt1994
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG knocking sound

Post by colinbt1994 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Hey guys, first post here. I was recommended to these forums by a friend. I recently purchased a 17 Calcutta Conquest BFS HG used off eBay. It arrived in fantastic looking condition, in the original bubble wrap, the oil bottles still in bags and unopened. Something must have happened during shipping I guess, though, because while it felt smooth when I was checking it out at home, I took it out to test and threw a 3/16oz Hot N Tot and noticed it was making a really weird clunking/knocking noise and have now noticed that there is a little bit of a gritty/rubby feeling when I turn the handles.

I've opened it up and disassembled the reel all the way through the drag stack and removed the pinion yoke, pinion, and springs and thats as far as I've gone but I'm a total amateur when it comes to reel maintenance like this. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgUWVJHfl5s[/youtube] - this is some video I got using the aforementioned 3/16oz Hot N Tot. It seems to only wanna make this knocking sound when the rod starts to load up pretty good on a faster retrieve. I didnt have my GoPro with me that day so couldnt get catches on camera but on my second test cast I caught a small bass and when fighting the bass it was making the same noise.

To underline how unsure of what it is I'm even looking for, here's a recent pic of when I disassembled it trying to check it all vs. the schematic as well as clean up/lube some bearings. I also cleaned the anti-reverse bearing and pinion with a bit of naphtha on a cue tip and then really lightly oiled it with bantam oil for the AB bearing. Without the spool in place the rubbing sensation in the handle turn seems to go away, and as soon as its back in place I can feel this slight rubbing/gritty feeling so I'm not sure but I feel like it could be linked to this weird knocking sound my reel is making?

Any ideas?

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 17 Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG knocking sound

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:48 am

Probably bent the spool

colinbt1994
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by colinbt1994 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:18 am

I inspected the spool shaft and bearing pin and they looked fine, thats what led me to thinking its something with the pinion or something.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:22 am

The knocking sound could be because the cast control tension was not set correctly and the spool is moving side to side in the frame. This will make a knocking sound when casting and reeling.

As far as the feel it's hard to say. The Conquest has minimal lube to make sure the rotation is very light. I would fish the reel a little more and see if anything changes after it has caught more fish.

colinbt1994
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by colinbt1994 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 am

Hey Bantam1 thanks for the response! Could the tension somehow be set incorrectly even if I've fully removed the knob and reinstalled it? Like could something somehow still be "set" in the knob perhaps? Some kind redditor suggested that maybe the spool bearing pin is slipping off the pinion which sounds similar to the potential issue you're describing. My plan today was to degrease the pinion crown and bearing pin to see if that helps, is there anything in the tension knob I should/can check as well?

edit: Also I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the knocking sound only occurs during the retrieve, and only when the rod is loaded up a bit like fishing a crankbait/jerkbait/spoon, something that gives the rod some resistance.

edit 2: case closed. Pretty sad day today but I just decided to return the reel. The seller on eBay is being a scumbag about it too, so I had to pay the shipping and apparently will also be waiting until he gets the reel back (through USPS from MI to JPN which'll take at least 2 weeks) before he processed my refund (another 2-5 business days). What bums me out is that I feel like I didnt learn much about baitcasters because I couldnt fix it, the only real lesson learned is that I should've just ordered one from Digitaka.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:27 am

colinbt1994 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 am
Hey Bantam1 thanks for the response! Could the tension somehow be set incorrectly even if I've fully removed the knob and reinstalled it? Like could something somehow still be "set" in the knob perhaps? Some kind redditor suggested that maybe the spool bearing pin is slipping off the pinion which sounds similar to the potential issue you're describing. My plan today was to degrease the pinion crown and bearing pin to see if that helps, is there anything in the tension knob I should/can check as well?

edit: Also I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the knocking sound only occurs during the retrieve, and only when the rod is loaded up a bit like fishing a crankbait/jerkbait/spoon, something that gives the rod some resistance.

edit 2: case closed. Pretty sad day today but I just decided to return the reel. The seller on eBay is being a scumbag about it too, so I had to pay the shipping and apparently will also be waiting until he gets the reel back (through USPS from MI to JPN which'll take at least 2 weeks) before he processed my refund (another 2-5 business days). What bums me out is that I feel like I didnt learn much about baitcasters because I couldnt fix it, the only real lesson learned is that I should've just ordered one from Digitaka.
Auction sites are a gamble. Can find gems...or turds. These forums or from people I know for used gear is how I roll.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:28 am

Just buy the US models. You get a warranty and service.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Was the handle easily pulled in and out? You get that click / clack noise when done so?

P. S. Make mention who the seller was so we can avoid. I got stung by a Japanese seller once before too on a Conquest...