JDM Stella/Vanquish etc Service

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM Stella/Vanquish etc Service

Post by reason162 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 am

Read on another board that Shimano USA has dropped its "platinum service" for USDM Stellas due to current shortage of parts/labor - wondering how that would affect possible service scenarios for JDM models of the Stella FK and other higher end JDM Shimanos?

I'm eyeing both in the 3000MHG, which Shimano USA does not offer.

Anyone have a recent experience with Shimano servicing/fixing JDM models?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: JDM Stella/Vanquish etc Service

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am

Platinum service was not dropped for shortage of parts/labor. I'll find out exactly why it has been changed. I do know that the reels are not being completed in 48 hours or less, but they are still moved to the front of the line.

We do offer service for the JDM models, but we do not stock parts for the reels. Some parts interchange like bearings. In the situations where the reels need parts we have to get them from Japan. Lately that has been taking about 4-6 months. They are a non standard parts order for us, so Japan adds them to existing upcoming parts orders for shipping to help save on costs. They are still expensive most of the time. If you live in the US I strongly suggest sticking with the US model reels. There is no warranty on JDM models here in the US, even if you get the Stella with the same gear ratio options as we offer here.

JDM reels were never given Platinum service for the record.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:01 am

The reason Platinum service has been suspended is because of overall volume of reels coming in for service. We simply cannot keep up with demand at the current time. We are still trying to achieve the 48 hours, but in most cases we cannot. Hopefully things will settle down some and service will be back up to normal 48 hours or less.

We are fully staffed so it is not a labor shortage. We simply do not have any more physical space to add more technicians at either location at the current time. Volume of reels being sent in has risen due to more anglers in the country. The "Pandemic" opened the outdoors to a lot of new people and in turn the volume of reels sold has gone up.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:55 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:01 am
The reason Platinum service has been suspended is because of overall volume of reels coming in for service. We simply cannot keep up with demand at the current time. We are still trying to achieve the 48 hours...
Understood, and thank you for the info. Based on the uproar at the other forum...it might behoove Shimano to make it clear that the only change is the 48hr turnaround is no longer guaranteed at the moment.

I do wish there was a way to tack on platinum service for JDM models. The Japan line Stellas/Vanquish etc have the 3000MHG that is so versatile for freshwater/inshore use - and the USDM models are all XG ratio. I don't mind paying more for USDM warranty/platinum service but jumping from C3000 to a true 4K body with only XG ratios...not ideal imo.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 am

I have explained that it needs to be defined to the customer service/reel repair manager. Hopefully they will clarify.

The reason JDM do not get Platinum service is because the reels were purchased outside of the dealers here. You have to remember that the cost of the reels has warranty and other factors are built into the MSRP price. You can't buy a Ford Lobo in Mexico and expect it to be covered here in the US. Same principle.

I would like to See the Vanquish come to the US as well. I just am not sure if that will ever happen since we have Twin Power and Exsence. It would fall into a price point that is between the two models from my understanding and it doesn't fit the plans. Maybe someday.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 am
I would like to See the Vanquish come to the US as well. I just am not sure if that will ever happen since we have Twin Power and Exsence. It would fall into a price point that is between the two models from my understanding and it doesn't fit the plans. Maybe someday.
Apologies to OP for the thread hijack but I've always been curious about the lack of Vanquish as a US model. Is there just not a meaningful enough demand for lightweight ultra high end spinning reels, or is it solely because it would be competing at a similar price point with more than one other reel? I've historically had very little interest in jdm only rods/reels but I splurged on a Vanquish last year and can't imagine ever fishing with another spinning reel. If it's unlikely for the Vanquish to come to the US market, is there any reason to believe a smaller frame Exsence might? I feel like a 1000 frame could appeal to a decent audience and serve as a higher end lightweight finesse option over the Vanford

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:12 am

The Exsence is a reel made for Japanese Sea Bass applications. This is why there are limited sizes. It was designed for brackish and saltwater fishing where the sea bass are targeted mostly.

The Vanquish is tough because of price point. It would be close to the other reels I mentioned in my previous post. When the price goes up, less reels overall are sold. The decisions on which products to sell here are made above my pay grade and decision making.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:23 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 am
I have explained that it needs to be defined to the customer service/reel repair manager. Hopefully they will clarify.

The reason JDM do not get Platinum service is because the reels were purchased outside of the dealers here. You have to remember that the cost of the reels has warranty and other factors are built into the MSRP price. You can't buy a Ford Lobo in Mexico and expect it to be covered here in the US. Same principle.
I get it, I was suggesting a tacked-on platinum service for a price - I'm sure it won't fly at corporate but for those of us who are fans of high end Shimano reels but simply can't find the model we want in the USDM...no good options exist.

Re Vanquish - it makes a lot more sense to bring over the Vanquish than the Exsence. Both Mg framed reels but how many saltwater guys are buying the Exsence now? I would guess very, very few. A lot more freshwater enthusiasts will opt for the Vanquish, I'm certain of it!

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:48 pm

I picked up a Vanquish C2000S and liked it so much i picked up another one. I use them more than my 18 Stella 1000 and both my 22 Stellas'
It just feels more sensitive to me. I swear i can feel more with this reel than my other reels.