Chronarch D7 Problems

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Chronarch D7 Problems

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:19 am

It can't be that much money to ship the reel here.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Ginson wrote:Thanks guys for the update

i really do think there's something wrong with the reel, some where... But rest assured, i only send for supertuning after several times it fail, n it still cast as bad... no change wat so ever

do you guys think tat the spool shaft might be bent? I use 20lb fireline braid, set it to 4-5lb drag, never crank whenever the fish run, casting huge lures(to me) such as ChugBug 11cm... i suppose it may have caused the problem

Btw, thanks Bantam1 for ur kind offer... however i'm about way a world away from u mate... I'm in Malaysia. I love this reel so much as from all the review over here i suppose it suits me the most out of all shimano reels ever made(except Conquest51 for lighter duties). However just sad tat it only perform for 2 casting sessioThanksing:
Did you backlash badly on one of those huge lures, where the spool came to an abrupt stop? That could have caused a be bent shaft. The inherent problem with Shimano's spool design is that the shaft is longer and therefore more susceptible to bending but is generally never a problem. Take your spool out and roll it on a smooth flat surface like a glass top table and see if you can see a bent shaft.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 am

I have never seen a backlash cause a spool shaft to bend in our reels.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 am

Bantam1 wrote:It can't be that much money to ship the reel here.
Thanks mate... if it still fails i would consider sending it over, however it took me USD30+ to get it here, it's cheap but after the exchange rate it can be real expensive :(

maybe i really bend the shaft... as i can't find any reason for it to cast this way at all... truly unexplainable... and it's long shaft as in all shimano reels looks weak. i do really hope it's not the reason for it's downfall

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

In all my years here I have never seen a spool shaft on a low profile reel that was bent. I repaired thousands of reels when I worked in repair and I never saw one. I have put some of my reels through hell with braided line that was way too heavy for the reel, pulling snags...and they still have not bent. If anything would bend the spool shaft it would be something like that.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Ginson, not trying to sway you into thinking that it's a bent shaft.
It's something you really need to investigate yourself.

Another way to check is to find another Chronarch or Met Mg (friend's or shop's), and swap your spool into theirs and their spool into yours and narrow down whether it's the reel or the spool that's causing your problem.

Also, another way to check for a possible bent shaft is that if you give a light spin of the spool with your finger (about 1-2 revs), the spool tends to roll-back or forward to the same spot. Do it a few times to make sure.

Personally, I've never come across a bent shaft from abuse/misuse - only as a manufacturing defect.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:20 am

Hi guys,

alright i know it's a costly move... but anyway, i just place an order to buy metanium mg7(which is also chronarch D7 spool right?) original spool to trial if it's the spool problem...

this is because i can't find anyone over here having metanium mg, chronarch D or even core 100/101 so far and i decided to take this risky move

and yeah, the reel still couldnt cast at all. now i using it to cast lures over 15gram to 28g so the lure can actually fly a bit n land a short distance in snaggy area(so i could pull up the baddest fish in there cos the distance is so short :big grin: )

lastly, i didnt send in the reel for bantam1(sorry bro bantam) because i think it'll most probably passed as ok because it's so new with everything just fine in it. without casting it out it's virtually impossible to see how bad it cast

thanks, will let you guys know how's the outcome.

ens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ens » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:33 am

Does it make any sound when you're casting it? Did you check out the tension knob and make sure it's not on too tight?

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:31 pm

ens wrote:Does it make any sound when you're casting it? Did you check out the tension knob and make sure it's not on too tight?
Yup, either tight or loose it still won't fly, very depressing to say the least. Makes you think how the heck TT folks keep praising the reel

Sometimes i notice there's some noise, however it's rather subtle and shimano's wiffle spool reel's tat i have do create such sound as well so i couldnt differentiate if it's a problem or no problem

how come shimano reel except those of calcutta 50 size do not have spool supported bearing? i think the long spindle all the way out to the tension knob is quite a weak link... i could use a 50 size calcutta and also conquest for so long... but not a scorpionxt and now the chronarch.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Ginson wrote:Yup, either tight or loose it still won't fly, very depressing to say the least. Makes you think how the heck TT folks keep praising the reel

Sometimes i notice there's some noise, however it's rather subtle and shimano's wiffle spool reel's tat i have do create such sound as well so i couldnt differentiate if it's a problem or no problem

how come shimano reel except those of calcutta 50 size do not have spool supported bearing? i think the long spindle all the way out to the tension knob is quite a weak link... i could use a 50 size calcutta and also conquest for so long... but not a scorpionxt and now the chronarch.
Let's draw conclusions once you get the new spool in.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am

The spool is supported by bearings on each end of the spool. Most of the SF reels do not use a bearing on the spool shaft like the non SF reels have.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 pm

I've been following this thread as since I have a CH100D7 myself, to see what the final outcome will be. All I know is the VBS brakes do tend to get noisy esepcially in the Metanium MG7's, but haven't had the short casting problems. In addition I also run a little less line on my spools. A full spool tend to not cast as well, since the line rubs up against the frame during the cast and screws it up. I'm running 15# Fireline braid and 20# Sufix 832.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:19 pm

I think the money he spent on the spool would have covered the shipping costs to us. We could look at the reel and repair whatever is wrong with it. It is tough to diagnose a problem over the internet without seeing the reel. I want to help him but without seeing the reel I can't make an accurate guess. There could be an issue with the side plate, frame, spool...so many things can affect the casting performance. I haven't read back through but I think he did take the reel apart too. Something could be assembled wrong.

The spools should only be filled to the beveled edge. Anything over this can cause issues. I can say I have never seen line tocuh the frame before. You must have had that thing WAY overspooled with line. Keep the VBS brakes/brake ring lightly oiled. This is part of normal service. The brakes are plastic and it can become hard over time. A little bit of oil will keep it in working order.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:07 pm

It happens during the cast and I guess more so with 1/4 or lighter lures. The line on the spool is simply pulled off by the centrifugal force as the spool is spinning. When the centrifugal force is greater than the speed of the lure pulling the line, the line will rub up against the frame of the reel. The most notorius line for this is Fireline. It makes for feathering the spool difficult. So it can screw up the braking and also the casting distance. Although I'll say that I hardly ever feather the spool, except for slowing the lure down before running into shoreline.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:24 pm

So the line is trying to backlash but hitting the frame near the line guide?