Plastic Clip on Shimano Spinning Reel Spool

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Plastic Clip on Shimano Spinning Reel Spool

Post by cadman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:13 pm

I bought two brand new Shimano 2500 reels, and in the pic below, one of the spools has a white plastic clip behind the line keeper and the other spool doesn't. What is the white plastic clip for, and do I need it. I just used to clip the line behind the black keeper. Thanks for any help.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Plastic Clip on Shimano Spinning Reel Spool

Post by eklikewhoa » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 am

I've always wondered this too

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:34 am

Always thought of them to have been added as to give tighter hold on more modern day lines, than that of earlier spool clip designs. There's that opaque plastic backing plate behind the actual clip.

L - > R
FH Stradic - F Saros
FI Stradic - FE Stella
FA Stradic - FI Stradic

Couldn't find any of the open ended clip as yours, I'd dare say it'd make line insertion easier and less distortion to the line clip itself.
Attachments
IMG_20210617_193024.jpg
IMG_20210617_193024.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 3840 times

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:36 am

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:34 am
Always thought of them to have been added as to give tighter hold on more modern day lines, than that of earlier spool clip designs. There's that opaque plastic backing plate behind the actual clip.

L - > R
FH Stradic - F Saros
FI Stradic - FE Stella
FA Stradic - FI Stradic

Couldn't find any of the open ended clip as yours, I'd dare say it'd make line insertion easier and less distortion to the line clip itself.
That is a good observation. I use mono line on these and 8 lb test line has a hard time to fit behind the black clip let alone behind the white opaque clip on the reel that has both. On the reel without the opaque clip, my line clips on fine and holds. Maybe like you said, the opaque clip is there for the new thinner braids. I can remove the opaque clip for my purpose though since I don't use braid. Thank You for your response.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:18 am

The white part is a spacer/protector to prevent wet line from sitting against the spool and causing corrosion (saltwater). It also prevents wear from braided line against the anodized surface.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:18 am
The white part is a spacer/protector to prevent wet line from sitting against the spool and causing corrosion (saltwater). It also prevents wear from braided line against the anodized surface.
Thank You for the clarification.