Stradic FK 5000

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Stradic FK 5000

Post by StriperFun » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Hi Shimano,
I recently got back a Stradic FK 5000 from service. New drive and pinion gears. Four new bearings. Felt fine when spinning the handle(smooth, no geariness, not heavy). But when retrieving plugs it felt heavy to extremely heavy as in it felt like I had picked up a big wad of seaweed!

With help of a youtube video and the schematic I took the reel apart to expose the drive gear. There was one thin and one thick washer on the sideplate side of the drive gear. I removed the thin washer and reassembled. No change in heavy feeling.

I then put the thin washer back on. When I reassembled the pronounced heavy feeling was gone but now the reel felt geary both when spinning the handle and when retrieving a plug.

I've since cleaned and greased the reel with yamaha marine grease and things have not changed. I also tried it with the thin washer on and off the drive gear, but no change to the geariness. Heaviness gone, but geariness still there.

I ordered the drive gear washer part 11146 and am going to try adding some shims to the drive gear on the sideplate side.

Any thoughts on what else to try, short of sending it back to Shimano?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stradic FK 5000

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:30 am

Please send me a PM with your name and address. Next time do not open the reel and attempt to service it. We only recommend our lubricants on our reels. The spinning reels use a few different types to ensure proper protection and ensure smoothness. The gears are shimmed to adjust for gear feel. The tech may have made a mistake or there could be another issue. Next time just contact us and we will take care of it immediately.