Shimano Rods...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Rods...

Post by tdm » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Hello Guys,

Ok after owning at least 20 Shimano rods (5 spinning 15 casting) for the past 4 years and they're
about in the $99 to $269 price range, I'm now down to just 3 casting rod and 1 spinning rod. Let
me explain, after using these rods for a while now, I often immediately noticed quality issues, sometimes
right out of the box and sometimes a few months later after purchase. It's the "CLICK" sounds coming
out of these rods when casting, it's so annoying to the point that I would just set them aside and not use
them again but end up donating them so they can still be use by others.

I bought 3 Zodias a last year, a 7' MH casting, a 6'10 medium casting and a 7' MH spinning. The 6'10 was awesome
at first until it develop the "CLICK" sound in only about 3 months of owning it.
i have located the sound and it's coming from the red ring or washer in between the reel seat and the EVA foam handle
and not that hard to re-produce the sound, so there goes another one set aside, second one is the 7' MH spinning but this time it's the locking nut having a lot of play even when it's tighten all the way down and the reel mounted on it feels loose and of course makes all kinds of "CLICK" sound around the handle area so there goes another one. The 7' MH casting somehow is not giving me any trouble whatsoever and it's my most used rod out of the 3 Zodias.

I did send the 6'10 casting and 7' spinning for a warranty claim and was turned down, I was told that it's not a manufacturing
defects. It was a normal "wear and tear" is what they told me, I was pretty disappointed to say the least, shook my head and
just gave up. after buying all these rods and only turning in a couple, I felt like I was let down by a brand I trust the most.

So quite not ready to give up on Shimano yet, last month I bought a 7'2 MH Expride and it's been excellent and no problem so far, and last week I was pretty excited cause I just got my very first Loomis IMX rod, upon careful inspection for any defects I was pretty impressed until I mounted a reel and did a few cast in the back yard and guess what, the same old "CLICK" is there, sounds like it's coming from the first guide area just above the foregrip I sent it back for a replacement and hope I wouldn't end up with another one. Cause I have to admit, for me, it would be a very hard transition to find another rod brand.

I have an 6'10 Expride coming my way next week and I'm hoping to enjoy it as much as my 7'2 MH.

What do you guys think on this one?

Thanks a bunch.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Rods...

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:46 am

Sometimes the guide can flex a little, or there is slightly too much epoxy on the guide foot that does not bond to the guide. The guide can and does move a little when using the rod. The "click" has been from the guide touching the epoxy. Sometimes a simple wiggle of the guide back and forth clears the problem. It's a rare issue and I'm surprised you have had so many rods with the noise.

As far as the issue on the reel seat on the Zodias rods. I haven't heard that issue before. Send me a PM with your info so I can look up the return data and notes from the inspector.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 am

It wouldn't surprise me that you are surprised.. :lol: I was all alone on this one for a long time and finally had the chance to post it. I will try the wiggle thing later for sure. PM sent.

Thank you.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 am

Just purchased 2- Zodias 7'2" MH's. One of them has a click while casting from the handle area. Can't pinpoint it but it's annoying as all get out. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:09 am

We would need you to send the rod in for evaluation. Our rod warranty inspector will test cast the rod to see what is going on. Just provide the info as to what reel, line, lure weight you are using so we can try to duplicate it as close as possible.