17 Scorpion DC Parts...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

17 Scorpion DC Parts...

Post by tdm » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Hello Guys,

I have two 17 Scorpion DC 101HG, I think the AR bearing in one of them is starting to go bad,
(It slips when jerk bait fishing).

Since I use them both equally, I'm thinking about replacing the X-Ship bearings, Pinion bearings,
AR bearings and possibly the Roller Clutch Inner Tube on both of them.

Parts for the Curado 201i HG should work with the 17 Scorpion DC right?

Just making sure before I order all these parts.

Thanks a bunch!

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 17 Scorpion DC Parts...

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 am

I ordered this same exact parts from the Curado I hoping it will fit the Scorpion DC on the December first... So I'm still waiting on the part but I will let you know as soon as I get it.
Long live the Jerkbait

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 am
I ordered this same exact parts from the Curado I hoping it will fit the Scorpion DC on the December first... So I'm still waiting on the part but I will let you know as soon as I get it.
Please do and thanks for the reply.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:25 am

The bearings are common sizes with the reels we sell here. All can be purchased through the website or by calling 877-577-0600.

There should be no need to replace the inner tube unless it has corrosion. The pinion and X-Ship bearings are good to have on hand. If the A/R bearing has the wrong lube inside it can freeze in cold temps and cause the bearing to slip.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:40 am

I went ahead and ordered all the parts I mentioned just in case. I know to never oil the AR bearing but I use a little bit of grease (Shimano star drag grease) and I don't apply the grease directly in the AR bearing but tiny amount on the inner tube instead.Is that the right way of doing it and am I using the right grease? I wish sometimes Shimano would make all those types of grease available to purchase. Thanks.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:09 am

tdm wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm
Hello Guys,

I have two 17 Scorpion DC 101HG, I think the AR bearing in one of them is starting to go bad,

Since I use them both equally, I'm thinking about replacing the X-Ship bearings, Pinion bearings,

Thanks a bunch!
Just confirm, they all fit, both Xship bearings, AR, Drag washer cover and tube as well. Also got the main and pinion gear too, those fit too.
Long live the Jerkbait

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:37 am

hmnginmn wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:09 am
tdm wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm
Hello Guys,

Thanks a bunch!
Just confirm, they all fit, both Xship bearings, AR, Drag washer cover and tube as well. Also got the main and pinion gear too, those fit too.
Awesome! Parts for mine should be here soon and it's good to know that I shouldn't have any issues. I should've order new gear set too, been thinking about replacing mine with 6.x ratio, maybe I'll do that soon. Thanks.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38 am

@hmnginmn,

Just got all the parts installed last night on both reels, did you put any kind of lube in the AR bearing at all? I installed the AR bearings out of the package as is but they're a little "raspy" compared to the old ones. Kinda waiting on Dan's advice on what proper lubricant to use on AR bearings before doing anything else with the new ones.

AR bearings on a brand new Shimano reels are not dry from the factory and that makes me wonder.

Thanks

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:14 am

tdm wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38 am
@hmnginmn,

Just got all the parts installed last night on both reels, did you put any kind of lube in the AR bearing at all? I installed the AR bearings out of the package as is but they're a little "raspy" compared to the old ones. Kinda waiting on Dan's advice on what proper lubricant to use on AR bearings before doing anything else with the new ones.

AR bearings on a brand new Shimano reels are not dry from the factory and that makes me wonder.

Thanks
No I did not lube the Anti-Reverse bearing. Mines did not have the same sound.
Long live the Jerkbait