Metanium MGL drag ajustment

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Metanium MGL drag ajustment

Post by Fishingelbow » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Even at its minimum adjustment, the drag on my Met still exerts more force than any of my other Shimano reels (Curado, Adlebaran, older Metanium, Chronarch); is this normal? The others don't offer any resistance at the minimum. :doh:
Never moon a werewolf!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Metanium MGL drag ajustment

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:49 pm

Probably, my Bantam MGL, Chronarch MGL, and Curado BFS all have more drag pressure with the star drag at minimum. Might be the Cross Carbon Drag system.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:59 am

Fishingelbow wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:15 pm
Even at its minimum adjustment, the drag on my Met still exerts more force than any of my other Shimano reels (Curado, Adlebaran, older Metanium, Chronarch); is this normal? The others don't offer any resistance at the minimum. :doh:
I think it's got something to do with the "star drag spring" along with the handle shaft length that the metanium and bantam uses. mine are doing the exact same way compared to my other shimano reels that uses a different star drag springs. i've replaced my bantam HG handle with an XG handle before and it was a bit different, it's like you have to hold down the star drag with a bit more force. will be interesting to find out from Dan for sure.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:29 am

The spring really doesn't determine the drag force. That is controlled by the pressure washers between the nut and the roller bearing inner tube. The key washer and drag washer size also contribute to drag force. The minimum drag shouldn't be more than about a pound, maybe slightly over 1 pound. Anything more than that means there is probably an assembly issue, or the inner tube is binding.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:20 am

Thanks everybody! Looks as if there's really no problem here. I was just wondering about the difference in the minimum drag force between my Met and my other Shimano reels.
May your fish be so large and numerous in 2022 that you don't have to lie! :lol:
Never moon a werewolf!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 am

If you feel it isn't correct you can always send it to the repair department in Canada. The tech up there is really good.