Spheros 6000SWA Gears Questions

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Spheros 6000SWA Gears Questions

Post by StriperFun » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi Shimano,
I am the proud owner of a new Spheros 6000SWA. I have two questions.

1) Out of the box, the reel has a grainy feel to it. Not geary, but a much less obtrusive sensation that I would call grainy. Hardly any gear lash--when I hold the rotor and then try to move the handle in the direction of its rotation it only moves a very small amount.

I opened the reel and observed three thick/stiff washers on the drive gear. I was surprised to see three thick ones because the other three Shimanos I have all had one thick and one thin washer, but I know the number adjusting washers will vary reel to reel.

Nonetheless, just wanted to ask if I should be concerned about the grainy feel and if it indicates a problem that could get progressively worse. I did hear a report from someone who had the same reel and it went coffee-grinder geary on them in a few weeks of hard fishing. They observed the black coating on the gear teeth worn off when they opened it, something which hasn't happened on other Shimano reels they own.

2) the drive gear adjustment washers (RD19754) on the Shimano parts website is priced at $7.29. That's a lot higher than the $0.99 I was expecting. Is that price accurate? Does the bag come with washers of varying thicknesses? I think if I am going to adjust the shimming on this reel I need some of those thin washers, probably more than just one.

Thanks for your help. One headsup, on the Saragosa 6000SWA schematic the drive gear adjustment washer is part 18804. But on the parts page linked to below there is no part 18804 in the parts list. The parts list does, however, include RD19754, but there's no note to indicate that this is a substitution for 18804. Just letting you know. I have seen on other reel's part pages this substitution is noted in the parts list.
https://fishshop.shimano.com/collections/srg6000swahg

Thanks!

Striper

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Re: Spheros 6000SWA Gears Questions

Post by StriperFun » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:55 pm

Searching around the interwebs I found an Alan Hawk review of the Saragosa SWA. And considering the Spheros SWA is a very closely related reel using same gears this sort of eases my mind. He goes so far as to say the reels he tested had a geariness to them.

So I think what I am feeling in my Spheros is simply something characteristic of this model reel and not unusual.

" handle play has been noticeably reduced from the previous generation, and, admirably, the main shaft has less play and the spool has more horizontal stability than their counterparts in the 2019 Stella SW. This is true for all sizes of the Saragosa SW-A.. On the negative side, this new generation isn't as smooth as the previous 2014 one. The correct definition of "smoothness" is the fluid quiet running without inconsistencies in feel or mechanical noise that can be heard or otherwise sensed, and the new Saragosa certainly has a bit of geary feeling to it. Nothing like the well known noisy reels out there, but the new Saragosa's internals do send out more feedback than the previous model did. In terms of free-spinning, which is the ease of turning the handle, the SW-A feels about the same as the 2014 model did, meaning it has a certain amount of tightness when operated but not too much and definitely in line with what one expects from a reel that is fully sealed with rubber seals. Rubber naturally creates some resistance against moving parts."

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Spheros 6000SWA Gears Questions

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:14 am

The gear adjusting washers can vary reel to reel. These are used to adjust the gear spacing for both wear and feel. If you feel the gear feeling is excessive, you can always send the reel in for warranty evaluation. A little bit of gear feel on the Spheros SW reels is normal due to the hardness of the materials used. The engineers wanted to boost the durability and used slightly harder materials and finishes. This will translate to more feel. It is totally normal, but sometimes they can be outside of the acceptable range. It is difficult to diagnose that over the forum such as this.