Metanium B schematic issue

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Metanium B schematic issue

Post by Mike son » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:45 pm

I had serviced one of 2020 Metaniums over the winter. I must have followed the schematic for reassembly. Particularly the order in which the bushing and washers are placed on the worm gear. Got a chance to use the reel last week and noticed I was having line lay issues on the spool. I decided to mess around with it today. I was able to shift the worm gear with my finger along it's axis.

There is no clip to hold the worm gear in the level wind guard opposite the idle gear and the worm gear is held in place when the drive shaft retainer(BNT5787) is in place. The washers(BNT6588) have a smaller outer diameter than the bushing(BNT4117). The hole in the drive shaft retainer allows the washers to pass through it's opening, but not the bushing. Following the order of the schematic, it allowed some play in the worm gear until it made contact with the bushing which why I was able to move it with my finger. I switched the position of the washer and the bushing and now there is no play in the worm gear. The bushing is butt up against the drive shaft retainer.

Thought I would share this here as I'll typically reference the Shimano schematics during the maintenance of my reels.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Metanium B schematic issue

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:22 am

With these spacers/shims they are used to adjust the worm shaft tension and winding shape. They can vary from reel to reel. The schematic is more a suggestion with these spacers than what the reel may actually need for amount or location on the bushing. When there is excessive space we use a little bit of grease to hold them in place.