Shimano Spheros 6K SWA Line Roller and Gears Questions

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Shimano Spheros 6K SWA Line Roller and Gears Questions

Post by StriperFun » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello Bantam,

1) Will the line roller on the 6K Saragosa SWA fit on the 6K Spheros SWA? I notice that some of the parts are out of stock and there is no ETA for them be restocked, nonetheless I just wanted to inquire if this was an upgrade I could do at some point in future.

2) What is the proper way to maintain the 6K Spheros SWA line roller? Should I grease it with something? Oil it? Wash with water regularly and then oil?

3) I posted a previous topic about the gears on my 6K Spheros SWA feeling geary. I finally caught a fish with this reel and immediately the geary feeling was reduced by a substantial amount. I'm just curious if this is normal. I had previously removed one of three thick shims on the drive gear and replaced with some of the thin shims bought from the Shimano parts store.

Thank you!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Spheros 6K SWA Line Roller and Gears Questions

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:49 am

The best way to maintain the line roller with with a light grease like our Permalub or DG16. Oil can be used if you plan on constantly cleaning and oiling the bearing, but the grease works better at keeping the saltwater out.

Please let me know what parts you are looking for that may or may not be backordered. At times there could be a master part number we use instead of the number on the schematic. There could have also been a change to the part number and the schematic you are looking at isn't the updated one.

Gear feel can be subjective. The harder materials for the gears on the new Saragosa and Spheros have a little more "feel" to them. I would not play with the adjustments unless you are confident in how to properly adjust the gears in these reels. Improper adjustment can result in premature gear wear, or cause other issues.

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Post by StriperFun » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:20 am

Hi Bantam,
Thanks your reply.

The backordered part question was a secondary one. My main question was can the Spheros SWA line roller be upgraded to the Saragosa line roller specifically that sealed bearing?

Also curious what you think is indicated by the immediate reduction in geariness after catching a fish? It was rather remarkable I never experienced that before.

I'll try the lube on the line roller.

Thanks!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:07 am

I'm not sure if the bearing will work on the Spheros. Due to inventory issues I do not have access to either reel right now to check fitment. It should fit but I am not 100% certain to say yes it will work.

I have never seen any of the cold forged gears change after one fish. During field testing the gear feel didn't change on any of these reels after several months of hard use. I handle all of the test samples now so I was deeply involved with both the Saragosa and Spheros. I know the testers gave the reels a good test during the period because fishing was really good.

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Post by StriperFun » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:27 am

Thanks Bantam for the background on the testing of these reels.

Incidentally, I had a dry-sounding squeak develop on this reel over last couple days along with a sensation when the main shaft was changing directions at the bottom of its travel. I opened the reel and found a black dried-up lube(?) on the oscilating guide. It was packed thickly at the bottom of the guide. I removed this stuff and put a bit of blue yamalube on there.

I hadn't seen these guides lubed before do they need it? And is blue yamalube sufficient?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:00 am

The oscillation guide needs grease. The black is probably metal transfer from the oscillation gear pin and the grease. This is a cast part so there can be some slight roughness that may contact due to tolerance variants. I have never heard one squeak before. That is new.

When we service the reels it is normal to see some black gunk in there. We just clean it out and apply a little grease. While we always suggest using our lubricants for the reels, Yamalube in this location should be ok.

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Post by StriperFun » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:36 am

Ok great thank you.

Just to clarify, when I say oscillating guide(RD21078), that's what the schematic is calling that long rod or pin that the main shaft assembly travels up and down on. I think the sqeak--it was a quiet squeak--was from the black dried up lube at the base of the pin. It had been compacte into a mass down there and there was sqeaking when the main shaft assembly (would the specific part be called the oscillating block?) was turning around at the bottom of its travel, at least I think.

Inside the channel on the oscillating block where the little knob(pin?) on the oscillating gear sits, the grease in there was all good--the usual color and not dry.

Imagepopular boys names 1980

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:22 am

I was talking about the oscillation slider which is attached to the spool shaft. What you circled is the oscillation guide. Typically we do not put any lube on this as it is a stainless part which typically does not corrode. There may have been a slight imperfection in the slider because this is a cast part. This may explain the noise. Without seeing the reel in person it is tough to say why it happened and why there is a dry black lube substance there. If you solution solved the issue then I would not worry about it and fish the reel.

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Post by StriperFun » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:47 pm

Ok thanks for clarifying Bantam about oscillating guide vs. oscillating slider. Yeah I'm fishing the reel. Perhaps later I will send this in for the shop to take a look at.

I guess the stuff was probably the black gunk you are describing but now I'm thinking there probably wasn't any grease in it as it was dry. The oscillating guide itself was stained by this substance. I wiped it off with a paper towel and it still looked sort of blackened.

The grease in the oscillating slider was clean.

I'll probably open the reel again in a few days and see if anymore stuff has built up there.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:03 am

A little 000 or 0000 steel wool can be used to clean the support guide. That is all we use here.