Shimano SLX DC bird nesting

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Shimano SLX DC bird nesting

Post by PhilHTX » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm

I can't get a recently acquired SLX DC to stop bird nesting without heavy thumbing. The DC control appears to stop braking halfway through the cast, which is where I've learned to thumb the spool.

Cast control was initially at the 3 setting which consistently made a mess of the braid. A 4 setting isn't much better. Spool knob is set properly. Reel is paired with a 7' Shimano Convergence medium/fast rod, which has worked well with a Tatula throwing crank/spinner bait. Should I try re-spooling with FC or do I have a lemon?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Shimano SLX DC bird nesting

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:36 pm

If you can birdnest it, then yes, it's a lemon.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:59 am

Keep in mind the cast control is set a bit differently. Dont base it on the drop, base it on side to side play in the spool.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm

You may want to post this is the Shimano forum. Bantam1 should be able to assist.

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:14 pm

Spool play is correctly set. I do like the reel and got used to the whine. Will respool with 15 lb. FC this weekend and give that a try.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:09 pm

The biggest I use on my reels is 16# flouro and it casts like garbage. Worse than 20# big game mono. I would try switching to braid.

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:35 pm

Reel already has 30 lb X9 braid on it. Would these DC reels do better throwing lighter line/lures?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:11 pm

If you can return it, i would suggest you do. With weak jpy, you can get the scorpion dc for cheap, and that has the i-dc 5, which is way better than the trash on the curado dc and the slx.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:25 am

Return it if you can because it shouldn't be doing that at all. And IDC-4 breaking is NOT trash like stated above.
I've actually owned and tested head to head all of Shimano's current DC reels. I can tell you the new IDC-5 in the Scorpion is not "better" than the SLX/Curado. There's actually not many differences of you look at the inner workings of both.
In my testing the SLX consistently outcasted the Scorpion 21 DC and the Curado DC. The 2 best casting reels were the Metanium DC and the 21 Antares DC. Closely followed by the Calcutta DC 200 and surprisingly the 17 Scorpion DC. All tests where performed with a 1/2oz plug btw. For the price the SLX is an amazing reel.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 am

Typically the "2" setting is best for braided line. Can you hear the DC unit working through the cast? I suggest sending the reel in for repair, or if your dealer is willing to replace the reel take that option as it will be faster.

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:51 pm

I've tried all the settings with X9 braid (except 1) using various lures from 3/8 to 3/4 oz on the same rod and the DC braking stops working when the lure is halfway out, resulting in you know what. Reel still makes the whine though it is a bit more muted at that point.

I gave the SLX another chance last week with the X9 braid/leader throwing spin and jerk baits near lay downs where I thumb the spool on occasion to avoid timber. That worked fine on most casts and rarely need to thumb with my other reels in that environment, so the SLX is going back.
Last edited by PhilHTX on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:07 am

It sounds like there could be an issue with the DC unit. They are rare, but it can happen. I wouldn't give up on the reel. Just get it into us for service or to the dealer for a replacement.

PhilHTX
Angler
Angler

Post by PhilHTX » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 pm

Got a RA # online and will be shipping it out this afternoon. Eager to see what one of these can really do, sans thumb!