Uses of Shimano Specific Oil and Greases Advanced

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
twburgner
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Uses of Shimano Specific Oil and Greases Advanced

Post by twburgner » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Bantam 1 - Could you please tell me most of the common uses for each of these different Greases and Lubes. I service a lot of my own reels and have a good bit of experience, but would like to have a detailed list. I think this would be extremely helpful for a lot of do-it-yourself guys for reel maintenance. I currently own close to 100 shimano reels in combination of spinning and baitcasting, mostly mid range to the high, high end stuff. Appreciate your response in advance.

RD16814 - NLTS2 Grease

RD17884 - SHIP-O Grease

RD18323 - Water Repellant Grease

RD16366 - Water Proof Grease

BNT5460 - ACE-2 GREASE

RD16364 - DG-1 GREASE

RD10151 - Friction Grease

RD16394 - ACE-0

SSRO-01 OIL

Bantam OIL

BFS OIL

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Uses of Shimano Specific Oil and Greases Advanced

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 am

RD16814 - NLTS2 Grease Mechanical anti reverse pawl pivots on reels like Tranx. Can be used in place of Permalub. Mostly used on reels that will be used in saltwater. Roller bearing in star drag reels. Friction ring on spinning reels (under ring against body)

RD17884 - SHIP-O Grease - Discontinued now. We used to apply it to the gears on spinning reels like Stradic FH and early forged spinning gears

RD18323 - Water Repellant Grease- Line roller bearing for reels like Sustain, Twin Power and Stella/Stella SW.

RD16366 - Water Proof Grease- Replaced by DG18/RD 18323 Can be used on conventional reels on drag lever and cam/pinion bearing

BNT5460 - ACE-2 GREASE- Conventional and baitcast gears, Dartanium drag washers, most commonly used grease on conventional and bait cast reels. Clutch cam pivots, clutch pawl track, etc.

RD16364 - DG-1 GREASE- Replaced by DG13 for spinning reel drive gears that are cast (not cold forged gears)

RD10151 - Friction Grease- Used between side plate and frame to help water resistance/sealing properly on baitcast reels. Can be used on friction ring in very, very small amount.

RD16394 - ACE-0- Cross carbon drag washers spinning and baitcast, spinning felt drag washers

SSRO-01 OIL- "Special" Stella oil for line roller bearing (older models) no longer used

Bantam OIL- bearings on baitcast reels, worm shaft (or can use small amount of ACE 0)

BFS OIL- BFS spool bearings only

twburgner
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by twburgner » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:01 pm

So, can you use the NLTS2 Grease for Drive, pinion, and idle gears like the old permalube? And if so, is there a limit to what reels you can use this one for?

Also, for the SSRO Oil and BFS Oil - Would you recommend using them for spool bearings that you are wanting to get higher performance out of? I take it they are both lighter oils than the normal Bantam oil, with the BFS being the lightest of the 3.

Thank you for your detailed response by the way!!!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:33 am

You can use it for gears, but I would only use it for cold weather applications where some of the other greases can freeze, or become heavy when cold.

The BFS oil is very light and does not last long in normal use. We had some testers try it for us here. Most claimed the BFS oil only gave them about a month of good performance before having to be reapplied. You have to remember the BFS spools are extremely light and designed to cast light lures. They require the least amount of friction as possible. When used in a heavier spool and under heavier loads, there is potential for the oil to displace easier. It did not improve the performance of the bearings in normal spool reels enough to warrant the use over regular Bantam oil.

The SSRO oil was a synthetic oil used in the Stella to try and reduce corrosion when used in salt/brackish water. Clearly the engineers found the new waterproof grease to work much better and this is why they changed to it.

There was one grease you were missing in your list and I forgot to include it. RD18322 (DG09) is a newer grease for conventional star drag and lever drag carbon washers. It has the same consistency and close to the same viscosity as ACE 0, but handles heat much better. It is not needed or require in baitcast reels.