Newer Shimanos - Line Roller Grease

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Newer Shimanos - Line Roller Grease

Post by reason162 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:54 am

I've noticed that on all the Shimano spinners I've purchased recently, the line roller barely spins. After taking my Exsence line roller out to inspect, it's caked/stuffed with a white grease. I removed it, opting for a thinner oil (TSI321), but I'm wondering why even on freshwater sizes and models (Vanford 2500 for instance) the line roller assembly is packed with that waterproof grease?
Won't that cause line twist when retrieving low-resistance baits?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Newer Shimanos - Line Roller Grease

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:24 am

The roller will work when under tension as designed. The waterproof grease is there to prevent water intrusion and other contaminants since this is the first spot to see if on the reel. I would not use oil as this can cause the rubber seals to swell on some of the models. You can remove some of the excess grease if you feel it will make the reel perform to your expectations. I suggest fishing the reels as is and see if there are any issues. I doubt you will have a problem.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:33 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:24 am
. I would not use oil as this can cause the rubber seals to swell on some of the models.
TSI-321 is fully synthetic and is safe with rubber and plastic. But yes be careful of mineral oils.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:39 am

Thanks Bantam.
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:33 pm
TSI-321 is fully synthetic and is safe with rubber and plastic. But yes be careful of mineral oils.
Would you use TSI-321 for the line roller bearing? I usually flood it with 321 after rinsing/drying post saltwater trips.