New Twin Power C2000SHG is making a rubbing sound

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Twin Power C2000SHG is making a rubbing sound

Post by John G » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm

I made this video of my new Twin Power C2000SHG. I'm fairly new to spinning reels and have no idea what it can be. I did contact Bryan, the guy who used to do reel repair at The Tackle Trap, about sending it to him but I haven't heard anything yet. I read the post earlier about Bantam saying Shimano does work on JDM reels but if they have to get parts from Japan, it could be like for five months or something like that so that is why I'm looking to send it somewhere besides Shimano.

Having said all that, does anyone have any idea what the sound could possibly be?

https://youtube.com/shorts/KYZ0z5V7qXo?feature=share

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Twin Power C2000SHG is making a rubbing sound

Post by reason162 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:41 pm

John G wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm
I made this video of my new Twin Power C2000SHG. I'm fairly new to spinning reels and have no idea what it can be. I did contact Bryan, the guy who used to do reel repair at The Tackle Trap, about sending it to him but I haven't heard anything yet. I read the post earlier about Bantam saying Shimano does work on JDM reels but if they have to get parts from Japan, it could be like for five months or something like that so that is why I'm looking to send it somewhere besides Shimano.

Having said all that, does anyone have any idea what the sound could possibly be?

https://youtube.com/shorts/KYZ0z5V7qXo?feature=share
That seems to be a Shimano special - the last half dozen Shimano spinners I've bought made some version of that dry raspy rubbing sound, from Vanfords to Stellas. It was the worst on an Exsence 3k - that one I got rid of.

I can't feel it or hear it while fishing so I've learned to ignore it. Still disappointing.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:14 pm

Like a lot of people here, I have bought many reels from Japan and this is my first problem. I contacted Digitaka to find out if I can send it back to them for warranty service from Shimano in Japan.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:19 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:41 pm

That seems to be a Shimano special - the last half dozen Shimano spinners I've bought made some version of that dry raspy rubbing sound, from Vanfords to Stellas. It was the worst on an Exsence 3k - that one I got rid of.

I can't feel it or hear it while fishing so I've learned to ignore it. Still disappointing.
Starting I guess a little more than 2 years ago, I have bought 5 Shimano spinning reels. Two Nasci's and three Twin Powers. This is my second Twin Power C2000SHG in a few months and it's the only one making a sound like this.
Last edited by John G on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:48 pm

Digitaka gave me their FedEx account number so that I can send the real back to them at no cost to me. As soon as I get a tracking number, I am going to send them the tracking number and as soon as it is in the system, they are going to refund my money so I can buy another reel. That is great customer service. :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm

John G wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:48 pm
Digitaka gave me their FedEx account number so that I can send the real back to them at no cost to me. As soon as I get a tracking number, I am going to send them the tracking number and as soon as it is in the system, they are going to refund my money so I can buy another reel. That is great customer service. :D
Excellent!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm
Excellent!
I wonder if they knew it would cost more than $200 to ship from the United States to Japan. Yeah that's right, $200. The lady at FedEx told me if I ship it myself, it would be a little over $206 to ship it to Japan. That's insane!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:53 am

John G wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm
Excellent!
I wonder if they knew it would cost more than $200 to ship from the United States to Japan. Yeah that's right, $200. The lady at FedEx told me if I ship it myself, it would be a little over $206 to ship it to Japan. That's insane!

FedEx can be a total rip-off, and UPS (and now add USPS to that list). I had a prior neighbor in Colorado ship a package of Whopper Ploppers to me here in TN, since the seller didn't read my PM message for my shipping address and he sent it to my old Colorado residence. He was able to retrieve my pkg and said that he had a buddy who owned a UPs and would take care of shipping it. Well his buddy charged him almost $30 (which we split the cost on) to ship this pkg, and it also has to subcontract out to USPS! LMAO.

When I got the pkg, it was in a UPS plastic shipping bag, and the original bag inside was from USPS, it was like $8 with USPS.

Anyhoo, I guess the learning aspect of this story is don't use FedEx for international shipping...unless there is some sort of internal shipping label. It is very likely that the internal shipping code that Digitaka uses is part of a massive/much larger bulk code and nowhere near what you were quoted.

Just like Amazon...all of the "free shipping and returns" are actually U.S. tax payer subsidized shipping, as so well played by their special interest groups in DC.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by dragon1 on Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:33 am

I want to add, that the exterior mailing bag was a UPS bag, but noted that it was subcontracted to USPS for shipping. IIRC, I think I saw this when I went to track the pkg online on UPS.