Dartanium Drag Washers...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dartanium Drag Washers...

Post by tdm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:58 pm

Hey guys,

I know that the 18 Bantam 151HG, 22 Bantam 151HG and 20 Metanium 151HG all came with Dartanium drag washers
(BNT4795) on the spool side and carbon drag washers on the handle side.

But for some reason I think the 18 Bantam 151 and 22 Bantam 151 comes with carbon drag washers on both sides, is this correct?

Anyway, Can I replace those Dartanium drag washers (BNT4795) with (BNT4627)?

BNT4627 are carbon drag washer, right?

Also, what is the difference between these:
BNT5568 'anti-reverse rachet' for 18 & 22 Bantam 151
BNT4628 'anti-reverse rachet' for 18 & 22 Bantam 151HG

Thanks a bunch.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Dartanium Drag Washers...

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:09 am

Yes you can swap to the carbon washer if you prefer. You probably will not notice much difference in the feel or performance as that washer is not as critical as the main drag washer.

I am not sure where you got the bearing part numbers. My schematics show BNT5780 for all of the reels you listed.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:38 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:09 am
Yes you can swap to the carbon washer if you prefer. You probably will not notice much difference in the feel or performance as that washer is not as critical as the main drag washer.

I am not sure where you got the bearing part numbers. My schematics show BNT5780 for all of the reels you listed.
That's good to know, Not trying to add more drag pressure or anything, I just feel like the carbon washer are easier to maintain, worry free and not as fragile. Thank you.

Not sure what you mean about BNT5780? I don't remember mentioning it in my original post. It's an AR bearing right?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 am

My apologies I misread your original post. I read it as AR bearing not ratchet. Monday morning at 5:00am...I guess my eyes were not working 100%.

The BNT5568 is made of aluminum and the BNT4628 is made of steel. The reason it was changed was for corrosion prevention.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 am
My apologies I misread your original post. I read it as AR bearing not ratchet. Monday morning at 5:00am...I guess my eyes were not working 100%.

The BNT5568 is made of aluminum and the BNT4628 is made of steel. The reason it was changed was for corrosion prevention.
All good and dang! 5AM? WOW!. Anyway, parts are ordered and thank you for explaining the difference between those part numbers.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:45 am

Yes I start my day at 5am. Always glad to help.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:56 pm

Can I just chime in on this.

Why is it still called a "BNT5568 anti reverse ratchet" when it's the defunct second purpose of it's design?

I mean it's solely a clutch trip plate these days, as there is no primary function as a helper anti reverse as the 'dog and pawl' has been removed from near all reels now, due to mechanical drag and noise.

Would be like calling the AR bearing BNT5421 handle shaft support bearing (in the days before the external frame bearing)?

And changing from stainless steel to aluminium would be mainly for weight reduction, other than the dissimilar metal reactions between the plate and the handle shaft as you sometimes see on neglected saltwater use reels.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 am

I do not create the part names, so I have zero answer. I suspect the naming has been there since the beginning days prior to the AR bearing and they just stayed with it. Since the design is the same as reels with a manual clutch like a Trinidad or Jigger I think they just use common part naming for consistency.

Aluminum is used for weight reduction true, but with material or coating changes to the driveshaft materials they have found better durability with different materials of the "ratchet". I know in our repair department we see less issues with the dissimilar metals than with aluminum to aluminum typically. This of course is with reels that have not been well maintained. A little grease application between the two really helps a lot no matter what materials are used.

The engineers on the QC side do all sorts of durability tests and they determine what materials should be used typically. Sometimes they make changes because the real world uses cannot always be simulated in a lab. With the Bantam its primary focus is for freshwater applications but it can handle the saltwater. With reels like the Tranx it was designed for inshore use. You will see differences in materials used to eliminate issues. It requires a delicate balance when reels are made as a primary freshwater reel that can handle salt. You don't want to make the reel too heavy, but also you want it to hold up. Sometimes sacrifices are made on one side or the other to meet the main objective.