Stella FK Knob Replacement

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stella FK Knob Replacement

Post by reason162 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:34 pm

There's a black sleeve that goes over the knob post on my Stella FK - if I'm putting an aftermarket knob on (Avail EVA slim), do I install that sleeve with the new knob?

I tried leaving the sleeve on but couldn't get the knob to spin freely. This is with zero additional washers just the 2 bearings.

If I take off the sleeve it spins freely but there's an awful lot of play.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stella FK Knob Replacement

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:20 am

I am not familiar with the aftermarket knob. I suggest contacting the company or seller to see if they have any instructions for you.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:48 am

Get yourself more shims to get rid of the play.
I usually dont have to use the plastic sleeve.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 am

mrpao wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:48 am
Get yourself more shims to get rid of the play.
I usually dont have to use the plastic sleeve.
Thanks - if I add one shim the knob won't turn, take it away and it's sloppy. I've replaced the stock Stella knob which I hate lol

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 am

Sometimes you have to sand the shims a little to get the perfect fit. A little 400 grit and place the shim on your finger and start rubbing.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon May 01, 2023 3:01 pm

Did you figure this out? I have different thickness shims and I can help you out. Do yourself a favor and get a caliper. I bought a very nice Mitutoyo caliper last year and I don't know how the hell I ever got by without one until now. I used mine the other day for exactly what you are talking about. I was putting a set of knobs on a handle and one shim was too thick and then it wouldn't turn and it was exactly twice as thick as another shim that I ended up using and everything was perfect. If you need some shims, let me know because I have multiple sizes and I would be more than happy to send them to you at no charge.